Help identify!

JmNy

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this gem a while ago from a museum and forgot what it was. Please help! 20201003_125721.jpg 20201003_125553.jpg 20201003_125536.jpg 20201003_125512.jpg

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't even remember from whee it was dug, maybe in isolated locations, throughout the globe?
Really beautiful specimen it is - so, let me run and get my book with the color pics, and maybe match....
Anyway, great find! :icon_thumright:
Maybe the museum can help you out, try jeweler or rock-hound club...?
Welcome to this forum...!

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of looks like malachite with selenite or calcite, how hard is the translucent host, take a steel knife and see if it scratches easily, if its selenite you can scratch it with your fingernail, if it doesn't scratch, scratch what I said and the host is probably quartz. Best I can do from a photo, pretty specimen:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JmNy

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't even remember from whee it was dug, maybe in isolated locations, throughout the globe?
Really beautiful specimen it is - so, let me run and get my book with the color pics, and maybe match....
Anyway, great find! :icon_thumright:
Maybe the museum can help you out, try jeweler or rock-hound club...?
Welcome to this forum...!

Thank you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JmNy

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of looks like malachite with selenite or calcite, how hard is the translucent host, take a steel knife and see if it scratches easily, if its selenite you can scratch it with your fingernail, if it doesn't scratch, scratch what I said and the host is probably quartz. Best I can do from a photo, pretty specimen:icon_thumleft:

I was not able to scratch it with my fingernail but was able to scratch with steel! Thank you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JmNy

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking its quartz with green and purple chlorite! Thank for your help!

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steel knife shouldn't scratch quartz, I'm thinking calcite with malachite, not sure what the blackish mineral is, maybe manganese but the translucent clear host could be flourite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JmNy

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calcite makes more sense. The blackish minerial is actually a really dark purple. The green def seems like it could be malachite

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread