Up on a mountain top yesterday and found a very interesting rock

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Part of me tells me it's perhaps a fossil?

The rock measures 4 1/2" long, 2 1/2" wide, and 2" high. It weighs 1.05 lbs. To me it appears to be quartz....

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG
See the "hole" in this view - it's 7/16" deep....

IMG_1685.JPG
This view tells me "fossil"....

IMG_1693.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1684.JPG
    IMG_1684.JPG
    696 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll add that I am terrified of heights. I went near the West edge of the mountain and looked down - near a half mile. It was immediately time for me to get back down off that mountain!

It was quite an adventure = I AIN'T going back up again :(

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quartz with mineral inclusions in my opinion. The guys over on the gold forum might be able to tell you more, It might be a good candidate for crushing down and panning.

Upvote 0

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Petrified Clam/Oyster innards?...minus the shell...lol...

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Deepseeker, Hope you are doing OK. You must be to be climbing that mountain. I would guess it is quartz. There could be some gold in it if from near your place but probably not enough to worry about.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Deepseeker, Hope you are doing OK. You must be to be climbing that mountain. I would guess it is quartz. There could be some gold in it if from near your place but probably not enough to worry about.

Hi Steve, I'm fine - just got a little winded climbing up and down that ridge. Standing in my backyard looking back towards Bull Mountain, the mountain I climbed, or rather struggled up was the mountain (grabbing tree to tree) , immediately to the right of Bull Mountain.

I don't believe there would be any gold at all in that rock. The rock is so neat - it wouldn't be neat anymore if I crushed it.

I haven't even turned on one of my detectors this year - got too much bottle treasure here to think about that. Been vehicle poor for a while. Even that Buick I bought is dead in the yard. My plan is just to go to M'ville and buy a danged new one here in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions