Anything special, I love it but I want your opinions?

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to cut the bottom off that Brownish Oxblood plume stuff, I don't really care for the white, which I thought was maybe common opal but after checking mindat it mentions a mineral kaolinite is found in the area which better describes the hardness and tenacity of the cream white mineral but I was amazed on how it looks, I thought I'd share and what do you all think, should I target this kind of material when I'm out there next time?
20201029_160525.jpg 20201027_141120.jpg 20201029_161617.jpg 20201029_161408.jpg

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty amazing what Mother Earth has made. Beautiful piece . I would get more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve1236

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I hope to find some more of this stuff, it kind of reminds me of bouquet agate in a way, maybe I'll coin it "winter roses" idk sounds cool.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not kaolinite. Kaolinite is a very soft white clay often deposited in masses along active faults. It's the clay that real China porcelain is made from.

What you have here is quartz. Lots of different common names associated with quartz. Generally agate would be used for the quartz appearance you have here but it's all just quartz. Very pretty material you have but unless there is some quantity of material of the same quality/appearance it would be futile to associate a name with this particular deposit.

If this material is well consolidated you could cut and polish cabs and have a marketable product. If you don't value your time you could consider cutting quartz cabs a paying profession. Better profit will be had by discovering a large deposit of fairly consistent quality. Come up with a name, market the stone and slab the material up and sell it to lapidaries then you could make a profit. Find two or three large deposits of good quality and you could make a living - if you don't have to pay too much for the rough stone. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions