Please help me identify this unique looking rock.

RocksLover

Nov 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Admins and all members. I need your help in identifying this rock I recently found. I live in southern NJ, its about 30 lbs, and its been cleaned. When doing a google image search the two possibilities were Antlerite and Cuprite. But those characteristics dont match the pics of my rock. Thank you all in advance for your assistance in trying to help me figure this out. I have been collecting rocks and fossils since a young child but have never seen a rock quite like this one before. I dont know what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_9845.JPG
    IMG_9845.JPG
    375.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9846.JPG
    IMG_9846.JPG
    409.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9844.JPG
    IMG_9844.JPG
    408.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9840.JPG
    IMG_9840.JPG
    380.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9834.JPG
    IMG_9834.JPG
    385.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9832.JPG
    IMG_9832.JPG
    501.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9826.JPG
    IMG_9826.JPG
    504.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9825.JPG
    IMG_9825.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 67

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RocksLover

Nov 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Back-of-the-boat that link doesnt exist and says 404 Error. Do you have a better link to share?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RocksLover

Nov 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Back-of-the-boat I finally got it to work. For my county it says "GreenSand". That link is a very helpful resource of geological info. Thank You! Still not sure what this rock is though. Onward and upward.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RocksLover

Nov 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Im getting closer to identifying this rock. Green Pintadoite crystals in Sandstone is looking very close to what my rock is. Taking outdoor pics now to post here today.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RocksLover

Nov 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_9890.JPG IMG_9889.JPG IMG_9892.JPG IMG_9893.JPG IMG_9894.JPG

All pics are outside with partial sun taken today. Hope they help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RocksLover

Nov 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_9888.JPG

Their are light yellow/clear crystals below and around the light green crystals in this pic. I dont believe this is glass or slag glass due to the formations of crystals spread all over this rock specimen. Their staggered and look like bands of crystals traveling throughout 3 sides of this rock. Im very curious about whats on the inside of this rock but will not damage it to find out. Still not sure what it is. If these pics are somehow not close up enough or not enough light I can try again on another day when its a bit more sunny.

Upvote 0

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Upnorth42. I agree it is very interesting. I dont know but I will do a search for NJ. No I have not done any hardness testing yet. How does one go about doing a hardness test?

Hardness testing is a standard test that measures the hardness of a rock. It can eliminate some of the types of rock you suspect it might be be. Going from memory talc is a 1 on the scale and diamond is a 10. There are some things you may have around the house that can be used to scratch the rock with. It's easier to google "rock or mineral hardness test" than for me to explain it. I would be going from memory and probably give you some bad information.

If the rock is very soft maybe look at some photos of fluorite in matrix. That is just a guess on my part I'm not very good at identifying rocks that are not from around where I live.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RocksLover

Nov 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Upnorth42 I will look into it. Do the pics seem good enough in terms of daylight and upclose?

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calcite crystals in Matrix maybe if it's not very hard, I've seen calcite that color from chimney rock quarry before online, just a guess though.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you figure it all out, you may be able to dissolve the matrix away from the crystals and be left with just the crystals but you run the risk of them not staying connected together or something amazing without the matrix in the way.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Upnorth42 I will look into it. Do the pics seem good enough in terms of daylight and upclose?

Pictures are much better we can see detail now and the crystals forms.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RocksLover

Nov 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Steve1236. Thanks for your help and info. Ill look into it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RocksLover

Nov 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back-of-the-boat Hey now thats a brilliant idea! Not sure if Im going to do it but I do like the way your thinking. And it definitely does not look like glass or slag glass to me. You can clearly see that it is banded crystals that grew throughout the rocks crevices over time and spread out on 3 sides. And in one of the pics I posted it has light yellow crystals also.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RocksLover

Nov 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back-of-the-boat Thanks for your kind words! Much appreciated! :)

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting stuff there. The second set of pictures are much better, and no thats not slag. I to would like to know about how hard the material is. Could be calcite, as steve noted, but I'm kinda stumped as to why the crystals are so rounded looking especially on the greener stuff. Some indication of hardness could be helpful.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RocksLover

Nov 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DDancer. How does one go about conducting a hardness test? In one of those pics you can actually see light yellow crystals amongst the light green ones. Thank you for your response its much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pictures are good. For my own curiosity can you post a picture of a quarter next to what looks like the clearer crystals? Won't help with the identification I'm just curious.

Upvote 0

NJearthman

Oct 31, 2020
Central Jersey THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, EQUINOX 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks more like a byproduct (slag) of the glass industry that prevailed in south Jersey, particularly Gloucester and Cumberland Counties for over 200 years. This is not a natural rock type found in your area. Everything south of Route 1 (basically south and east of Mercer and Middlesex counties) are Coastal Plain deposits composed of unconsolidated Sand,Silt Clay and Gravel. If I’m wrong (which would be the first time ever :laughing7:) this rock would have to be transported from out of the area by someone just dumping it from anywhere or ice rafted from the north during the Pleistocene.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread