Quartz ID Please!

SlowFrog

Feb 5, 2021
England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I broke open some Irish quartz because the outside looked weird to me and I wanted to see what was inside. You can see the broken fragments in the first pic - the brownish, thin layers are where the quartz naturally broke. I'm not quite sure what it is - just hardened dirt?

After cleaning with a toothbrush and looking through a magnifying glass, I spotted some silvery deposits. Any idea what they might be?

Quartz_01.jpg
Quartz_02.jpg
Deposits.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SlowFrog

Feb 5, 2021
England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both! I always thought of pyrite as the yellow gold impostor so I didn't really consider it due to the silvery appearance of the deposits. I'm an absolute novice so appreciate the replies.

Upvote 0

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you both! I always thought of pyrite as the yellow gold impostor so I didn't really consider it due to the silvery appearance of the deposits. I'm an absolute novice so appreciate the replies.

I've found pyrite that was silver colored and once I found a hunk that was almost completely white. I took the specimen to a local geologist just to be sure because it looked so different than any I found before. Sure enough FeS! Wish I still had it but it got lost a couple of years ago (stolen collection).

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pyrite or perhaps the related arsenopyrite, pyrite with some arsenic added in.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread