Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many varieties, some dyed and stabilized. I am new at this so hoping you rockhounds can help ID the stones in this bracelet and give me your thoughts. Bisbee or Morenci?

tuqbrace1.jpg
tuqbrace2.jpg
tuqbrace3.jpg

Thank you kindly!

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
There are hundreds of Turquoise deposits in the US alone. The website Blauer cites above shows only a few. Many are unique in the appearance of matrix and colors of turquoise produced. Others, even some deposits hundreds of miles apart, as so similar in appearance that even experienced craftsman and dealers may have difficulty with accurate identification.

Many of the US deposits are so small that they can be entirely depleted in a week by a single miner using gads and hammers. Others have been producing for years with no end in sight.

Yours, I can not specifically identify. My experience lies with a few dozen mines in Nevada that produce greens of various shades. Blues, regardless of origin, I do not have enough experience with.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Definitely neither Bisbee nor Morenci.

Galenrog is correct about the many different appearances of turquoise mined in the United States. Even in the same mine there will be big variances in color and quality. Much of the Turquoise mined in the United States has to be stabilized (impregnated with plastic) to make it suitable for cutting into cabochons. Often the stabilizer is colored to improve the appearance of the original stone - which may or may not be blue turquoise colored originally. When the turquoise is stabilized and colored it's referred to as "treated" turquoise.

What you have is a treated natural stone filled with devcon "plastic steel" epoxy in the areas with voids. This was a common practice among lower end jewelers during the 1970's Indian jewelry craze. It may or may not be turquoise (doubtful from the appearance). The mount appears to be of handmade construction and artificially aged, it would look a lot nicer if you polished it up. Are there any marks on the bracelet? The treated stone lowers the value of the jewelry but if the piece was made by a known smith it may still have some value.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info - very interesting the ways and means of using this mineral adjusting what was natural!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread