Rock Table I inherited, my Grandpa made it in the 80s

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Rock Table I inherited, my Grandpa made it in the 80's

I will be posting more rocks today. I have been going through them today and thought I would share. I don't know every rock in this table. The dinosaur bone, petrified wood, wonderstone, turquoise, septarian nodules, agate, and sandstone are ones that I am sure of. The table is 18 inches by 32 inches.

Attachments

• rocks 004.JPG
    rocks 004.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 525

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: Rock Table I inherited, my Grandpa made it in the 80's

:o All kinds of pretties and already prelicked too! ;D Very cool that you managed to inherit something your grandpa put so much time and heart into! Take very good care of it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used

Cynangyl said:
:o All kinds of pretties and already prelicked too! ;D Very cool that you managed to inherit something your grandpa put so much time and heart into! Take very good care of it!

Thanks, I do consider myslef lucky. He owned a rockshop in Richfield Utah and we would go out in the desert rockhunting all the time. I am the only grandkid out of many that truly loved the rocks, so I have inherited some things with the promise the other grandkids wouldn't know...

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

well hopefully they don't read tnet then! :wink: I think it is awesome you had those memories of sharing a pastime with your grandpa. I sure miss mine and am very lucky to have spent a lot of time with him!

Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

That is so cool!
Truly, a family treasure :)

hmm.......... now i wanna do something with my rocks.
:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used

Thanks everyone, I do consider it a treasure. The hard part will be figuring out which of my 5 kids will inherit it. Since I am only 39 I guess I have a while to figure it out...

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Wow! Very nice table. -Looking forward to the other rocks in your collection.

Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very nice :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Give it time you will KNOW just like your grandpa did WHO it should go to! It might be one of your gandkids!

Upvote 0

Kneedeep

Greenie
Feb 29, 2008

Hello, Totally neat!
Do you know if he cut & polished the rocks himself? Would love to be able to do that!

Thanks
Mark

Upvote 0
OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used

Kneedeep said:
Hello, Totally neat!
Do you know if he cut & polished the rocks himself? Would love to be able to do that!

Thanks
Mark

Not only did he cut and polish the rocks himself, he found every one of those rocks himself. He owned a rock shop in Richfield, UT and would spend time out in the desert finding specimens. I spent a lot of time in the hills with him, and that is why I inherited the table.

Upvote 0

DesertWalker

Sep 16, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

That is "flippin' way cool", as they say in Utah. Was he an arrowhead hunter also?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used

DesertWalker said:
That is "flippin' way cool", as they say in Utah. Was he an arrowhead hunter also?

He did hunt arrowheads, and had a collection of a few hundred. He sold them a few years before he died. The Anasazi prayer shawl he had is now in a museum. That was his best find and I felt honored to have held it in my hands.

His main hunting was rocks for his shop and to sell in Quartzite. The arrowheads would be found by accident, but then he would spend a little time looking around for more before focusing back on the rocks.

Upvote 0

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008

utah hunter said:
I will be posting more rocks today. I have been going through them today and thought I would share. I don't know every rock in this table. The dinosaur bone, petrified wood, wonderstone, turquoise, septarian nodules, agate, and sandstone are ones that I am sure of. The table is 18 inches by 32 inches.

Very nice!!!
Can you or anyone tell me what the rocks are held together with/how the table top was made. What bonds this into one solid piece, cement, epoxy???
I would like to try to make something like this.
Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used

pronghorn said:
utah hunter said:

Very nice!!!
Can you or anyone tell me what the rocks are held together with/how the table top was made. What bonds this into one solid piece, cement, epoxy???
I would like to try to make something like this.
Thanks

Here are some extra pics to hopefully help you see a little more of it's construction. The table weighs 25 pounds. I did see him making one, and will tell you what I remember. He laid down the top, which in this case is a hard plastic. He had a metal frame he tightened around the top piece, and it was about 2 inches high so he could build the back of the table up in this frame. We know now glass would have been better for the top, plastic tends to crack over time if you are not careful. He then laid the slabs of the rocks face down directly on the plastic top in the same pattern he had laid them out in his shop. He then put broken glass of different color and broken up rock in between the rock slabs to spice it up a little more. He then put epoxy over the back of the slabs and the glass and made sure it mixed in with the glass pieces. This is all I saw, we had to leave his shop, the fumes were making us punchy ;D
You can see from the pics the wood he used to fill most of the back. Hopefully this info and the pictures help a little bit.

Attachments

• table 002.JPG
    table 002.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 334
  • table 004.JPG
    table 004.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 332
  • table 006.JPG
    table 006.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 330
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions