Unbelievable historical finds!

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Elena is an incredible person. I've been visiting her website on and off over the last 5 years or so. Why do I never see someone like her when I'm out hunting? When I do see someone, they usually look like me - old and fat. At least I can still dream! I wonder if she knows about this site? Guess I'll e-mail her and ask

Tourezrick
Old, Fat and Dreamin'

Attachments

• Elena2.jpg
    Elena2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,628
  • Elena.jpg
    Elena.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,570

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
my favorite pic of Elena in action ;D . Nothing like a little midnight metal detecting...lol

p20.jpg

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very interesting MD'er indeed!!!

I first learned of Elena's site when Ed Fedory featured it in his section of W&ET not too long ago. Her and her hunting partners have made a heckuva lot of finds. Especially sobering are the pics of the jawbone and of German soldier's skull that can be seen under his helmet. It makes me wonder if the German Government has an MIA investigation/recovery agency similar to our JPAC (Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command) based at Pearl Harbor. It would be nice to identify their remains and return them to their surviving family members or at least back to be laid to rest in the soil of their homeland.

HH,
SgtSki

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: A very interesting MD'er indeed!!!

SgtSki in MI said:
I first learned of Elena's site when Ed Fedory featured it in his section of W&ET not too long ago. Her and her hunting partners have made a heckuva lot of finds. Especially sobering are the pics of the jawbone and of German soldier's skull that can be seen under his helmet. It makes me wonder if the German Government has an MIA investigation/recovery agency similar to our JPAC (Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command) based at Pearl Harbor. It would be nice to identify their remains and return them to their surviving family members or at least back to be laid to rest in the soil of their homeland.

HH,
SgtSki
Yes, Germany tries to identify all remains and insists that skulls, jawbones and such are returned to the rest of the body and coordinates taken. They will investigate and notify family if identified.
I believe nahabit returned his skulls, gave Germany his dog tags that he collected on the Eastern Front, gave locations and reluctantly cooperated with them. The story is on record here at TN if you search for it.

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bigcypresshunter said:
SgtSki in MI said:

HH,
SgtSki
Yes, Germany tries to identify all remains and insists that skulls, jawbones and such are returned to the rest of the body and coordinates taken. They will investigate and notify family if identified.
I believe nahabit returned his skulls, gave Germany his dog tags that he collected on the Eastern Front, gave locations and reluctantly cooperated with them. The story is on record here at TN if you search for it.
I found a Wehrmacht dogtag (Actually an ID Disk, they are oval shape and perforated down the center into two halves. the soldier's data is on both halves with the idea being that if he was killed in action half went to his chain of command and the other half stayed with the remains....I'm sure many of you have seen them before, they're on Elena's site). I found it while detecting near the site of a POW compound near my hometown. There were only a couple hundred of German POWs there and they worked for dairy, fruit, and vegetable farmers in my area. When I researched it to try to return it I found a bit of a surprise. The Gefreiter (Corporal) who it belonged to was repatriated to Germany after the war. The area he lived in was occupied by the Soviet Union and he had lost most of his family to Allied Bombing and to the Red Army's somewhat less-than-nice advance through eastern Germany. SO.....He came right back to the US and went to work for the same dairy farmer that he worked for as a POW. When his employer (who had lost both of his sons in the Pacific) decided to hang up his pitchfork this guy, who had since courted and married a girl (She belonged to a local Mennonite Church that used to knit socks & sweaters and also prepare&bake traditional German goodies for the POWs), bought the farm and continued to run it. I also learned that he had passed away a couple years before I found his tag. His son was still operating the farm and the crazy thing is that this place is just across the road from and 1/4 mile down from my uncle's farm and I NEVER KNEW this story! Well, I gave the tag to his family (his widow is still living) and they were quite touched and tickled at the same time. We decided to keep the matter private since there's a lot of European-Theater WW2 vets running around and we didn't want to kick up any bad sentiment. It also opened a LOT of doors for Farmhouse yards to detect which have yielded a lot of IH's and V Nickels as well as a couple of Barber and Merc Dimes and dairy tokens.

I've learned that it was actually quite common for repatriated German POWs to return to the US if their part of Germany was under Soviet occupation. The whole experience of this one dogtag was very surprising and educational.

There were also some more German POWs at another camp near me that I'm yet to detect. There were 250 there and they worked for the Gerber Baby Food Company, which is Headquartered in that town. Also at Ft Custer, MI where I do my National Guard drill were German POWs but the area where their barracks was is now part of a huge industrial park.

HH,
SgtSki

Anyway, thought I'd share the story of my one and only German WW2 Relic!!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just reviewed and read her story on her website. What an amazing young woman she is!!! Kudos to her for putting the history in writing and for her research. Way to go Elena!!! Keep up the awesome work!

Happy Hunting,
Annmarie

kybowhunter

Feb 22, 2006
Detector(s) used
F75 / M6 / Cortes
That's an excellent site and worth taking the time to go through all of the pages... thanks for sharing the link!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

SgtSki in MI said:
bigcypresshunter said:
SgtSki in MI said:

HH,
SgtSki
I found a Wehrmacht dogtag (Actually an ID Disk, they are oval shape and perforated down the center into two halves. the soldier's data is on both halves with the idea being that if he was killed in action half went to his chain of command and the other half stayed with the remains....I'm sure many of you have seen them before, they're on Elena's site). I found it while detecting near the site of a POW compound near my hometown. There were only a couple hundred of German POWs there and they worked for dairy, fruit, and vegetable farmers in my area. When I researched it to try to return it I found a bit of a surprise. The Gefreiter (Corporal) who it belonged to was repatriated to Germany after the war. The area he lived in was occupied by the Soviet Union and he had lost most of his family to Allied Bombing and to the Red Army's somewhat less-than-nice advance through eastern Germany. SO.....He came right back to the US and went to work for the same dairy farmer that he worked for as a POW. When his employer (who had lost both of his sons in the Pacific) decided to hang up his pitchfork this guy, who had since courted and married a girl (She belonged to a local Mennonite Church that used to knit socks & sweaters and also prepare&bake traditional German goodies for the POWs), bought the farm and continued to run it. I also learned that he had passed away a couple years before I found his tag. His son was still operating the farm and the crazy thing is that this place is just across the road from and 1/4 mile down from my uncle's farm and I NEVER KNEW this story! Well, I gave the tag to his family (his widow is still living) and they were quite touched and tickled at the same time. We decided to keep the matter private since there's a lot of European-Theater WW2 vets running around and we didn't want to kick up any bad sentiment. It also opened a LOT of doors for Farmhouse yards to detect which have yielded a lot of IH's and V Nickels as well as a couple of Barber and Merc Dimes and dairy tokens.

I've learned that it was actually quite common for repatriated German POWs to return to the US if their part of Germany was under Soviet occupation. The whole experience of this one dogtag was very surprising and educational.

There were also some more German POWs at another camp near me that I'm yet to detect. There were 250 there and they worked for the Gerber Baby Food Company, which is Headquartered in that town. Also at Ft Custer, MI where I do my National Guard drill were German POWs but the area where their barracks was is now part of a huge industrial park.

HH,
SgtSki

Anyway, thought I'd share the story of my one and only German WW2 Relic!!
Great story, Sgt. german ID tag nahabit.jpg Here is a German ID tag found by nahabit, a TN member, on the Eastern Front.

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrific finds!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing this story.
Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread