jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at this point, it may just be like an Emergency Kill switch.
or Censorship Bypass. to prevent other countries from
Blocking Russia From the internet.

But Rumors are it will be to separate Russia from the WWW.

I Was going to Post this in Politics, But maybe our Russian Friends
can Fill us in on the Truth as they know it.

13 hours ago -

MOSCOW (AP) – Russia’s lower chamber of parliament has adopted a bill that would expand government control over the internet, raising fears of widespread censorship.

The State Duma on Tuesday overwhelmingly voted to support the bill, which still has to be approved by the upper chamber of Russian Parliament and signed into the law by the president.

The bill requires internet providers to install equipment to route Russian internet traffic through servers in the country. That would increase the power of state agencies to control information while users would find it harder to circumvent government restrictions, and the quality of the connection may suffer.
Proponents of the bill say it is a defense measure in case the United States or other hostile powers cut off the internet for Russia.

Twitter and Facebook have nine months to comply with the law by moving Russian user data onto servers in Russia, Interfax news agency cited communications watchdog head Alexander Zharov as saying on Tuesday.
Zharov was also quoted as saying he hoped Russia would not end up blocking Twitter and Facebook.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/russia-expands-government-control-over-the-internet-2019-04-16

Last edited:

catyron

Apr 15, 2019
Forestville, California
Detector(s) used
Old Maps, Dowsing, Borrowed detecting equipment from friends.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the heads up, Jeff. That is just totally unexpected. I am trying to wrap my head around the why, wherefore, and WTF of it .... and failing.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess that's it, then. The end of life as we know it. Suppose I'll have to find my ZIL parts locally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread