77 4th & 5th Century B.C. Silver Coins Found Tiflis U.S.S.R.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history:
Prior to 1936 Tiflis was named Tbilisi; a Georgia (Russia) country. Georgia is next to Turkey. Coins were first made in Lydia (present day western Turkey). The Persians defeated the Lydians but kept going with the 'new' idea of coining money. The Persian empire included the area of Tiflis. Some of the first Lydian coins featured a lion on the obverse, but I'm not familiar with a coin depicting a male lion on the reverse and a lioness on the reverse. 'Didrachma' is a Greek term. The Greeks defeated the Persians but they had coins with the images on the reserve such as horses, owls, crabs and eagles, not lions. So.......I'm guessing the found coins were Lydian or Persian, not 'didrachmas' but actually coins for which we have different names for these denominations. (Yes, admittedly, just killing time waiting for the Super Bowl game to begin this afternoon.)
BMC_06.jpg

Don.......

Сергей

May 8, 2020
Russia
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a very interesting coin, the composition of the gold should be, which means that somewhere in nature they still lie!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Lydian 'stater' was composed of electrum, a naturally-occurring gold-silver alloy; though the coins are often reported to be struck from this naturally-occurring alloy, they were actually made from a specific and rather consistent mix of approximately 55% gold, 45% silver, and a small balance of copper.
Don...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions