ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, finally getting our own forum for one of the most underrated machines on the market! WTG TN!

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Champ.... it would be nice to see robust discussions on our Safari's in this forum. I would like to know exactly how underrated this machine really is. You have the CTX so you must have a lot to say about it.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've really learned to like my Safari, a slower response and swing speed machine, and I'm fine with that, like it even better with a small 5x8 SEF coil. Waiting for the "New" Minelab to come out, the EQ 800, but I WILL be keeping the Safari.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Champ.... it would be nice to see robust discussions on our Safari's in this forum. I would like to know exactly how underrated this machine really is. You have the CTX so you must have a lot to say about it.

Well, I think the differences are pretty well known. Plus, realize I am just a user and not one of the net gurus (and not even one of the multitude that thinks they are a guru).

- Safari is a good bit slower than a CTX. I have heard it being described as a eTrac that was intentionally clocked down. I tend to believe that fwiw.

- Safari's unique tune when it sees silver. That is my favorite thing about the Safari. If its silver, you know it, even deep silver ime. I use my CTX most of the time now and only use the Safari as a loaner but I miss that silver sound.

- I seem to be able to get closer to a chain link fence with stock coils with the Safari v CTX. Maybe I don't have my settings right for that on the CTX tho; haven't pushed the envelope on this.

My Safari has been very good to me, but if the Equinox lives up to its hype, I will probably sell the Safari and get a Eq. Reasons are:
- lighter weight
- waterproof
- able to force a specific freq for small gold (wish I could do that with my CTX!)

I think the Eq (again, IF it lives up to the hype) will lead to the discontinuation of the Safari.

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the Eq (again, IF it lives up to the hype) will lead to the discontinuation of the Safari.

I'm starting to think this may be true. Some models (that may be lagging in sales) have to be pushed out.

I'm caught up in a "null" on whether to buy the Etrac or wait on the Equinox, or maybe consider the CTX too.

Although I love my Safari, I don't want to be outperformed since the difference in price between these upgrades is not that big of a deal.

When a hunting pal is using an Etrac and out-hunting me 3 to 1 on silvers & wheats, it makes me think I need to upgrade.

The only thing that i don't look forward to is the long learning curve that comes with the Etrac.

I guess I should pull the trigger and not look back.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you should wait. A couple/few months til Eq release isn't that long. I also don't think you are that outgunned to the eTrac. For me, assuming that money isn't an issue, you either go lowest cost FBS or highest cost FBS. You've got a Safari, I wouldn't take an intermediate step with the eTrac. This no slam on the eTrac! And before someone starts in on 'bells and whistles' on a CTX, I think that Target Trace is worth 2x the extra cost. I Loves me Target Trace! (not even considering all the filter combos you can do on a CTX to tailor it to a specific site)

I think that the main reason the Eq will lead to the Safari demise is the price and the fact that it is waterproof. I still think that FBS will hunt 'better' or at least differently enough for me at my sites. When I predict the Safari discontinuation, its strictly because of what the general public consumer will buy when faced with the lineup. Experienced detectorists will probably make different choice as a group.

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you should wait. A couple/few months til Eq release isn't that long. I also don't think you are that outgunned to the eTrac. For me, assuming that money isn't an issue, you either go lowest cost FBS or highest cost FBS. You've got a Safari, I wouldn't take an intermediate step with the eTrac. This no slam on the eTrac! And before someone starts in on 'bells and whistles' on a CTX, I think that Target Trace is worth 2x the extra cost. I Loves me Target Trace! (not even considering all the filter combos you can do on a CTX to tailor it to a specific site)

I think that the main reason the Eq will lead to the Safari demise is the price and the fact that it is waterproof. I still think that FBS will hunt 'better' or at least differently enough for me at my sites. When I predict the Safari discontinuation, its strictly because of what the general public consumer will buy when faced with the lineup. Experienced detectorists will probably make different choice as a group.

Say no more Champ... it makes sense to me.

I'll wait til the Eq is out, read the reviews then compare for my upgrade.

I did buy Sabich's Etrac manual in advance and have been reading off & on.

We'll see....

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reading manuals, especially Andy's stuff is a good move even if you don't have the machine imo. Theres a lot of principles/ideas/techniques that apply across manufacturers. And of course gives you an excellent idea of what that machine will do.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the EQ will replace the X-Terra 70 no doubt, but I know that I'll still keep the Safari, just more than likely not use it as much. The EQ 800 may be all the detector I'll need, we'll see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread