Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey there...

Have you seen the Dr Tones youtube video where they place coins in an arc and pass the Equinox coil over it at great speeds?

Well.... I did the same thing myself the other day with my Safari.

I placed iron, pull tabs, screws, nails, clad coins and silver in an arc and passed the coil over them at various speeds, in AM.

They say the Safari is a slow processor and I think it is meant to be only at the processor's TID display.

But rolling the coil over the targets at varying speeds, my machine picked it all up and didn't miss a beep.

So it made me wonder about what Dr Tones was trying to prove in his demonstration of the Equinox.

It is all marketing hype? Kinda makes me think so.

What is your opinion?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How fast were you sweeping the coil, I use to own the Safari and you can certainly sweep it too fast. Also the Equinox hasn't even been release yet so any tests with Equinox are with proto model

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing is final on this equinox, and a multiband setting is not FBS machine.
The only thing that the equinox 800 has that I would like on my safari is the back light. I really don't like to get wet, never more than my angles. For prospecting I have a very good Eureka that works just fine for me. And I just picked up a Tesoro compadre for the competition hunts that I go to 4 time or 5 times a year.
I am happy with my three Gals, and they all get along with each other.:occasion14:

OP
OP
H

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How fast were you sweeping the coil, I use to own the Safari and you can certainly sweep it too fast. Also the Equinox hasn't even been release yet so any tests with Equinox are with proto model

I was not swinging as fast as the Dr Tone video but I was swinging at a speed that one would not normally do. The TID display certainly could not keep up with the signals as they went from low to high. It would be interesting to see buried targets lined up in an arc, produce the same results as surface testing.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never trust videos, especially in air for FBS. I also never trust anyone who is on a manufacturer's payroll (that includes accepting any compensation or having a prerelease model to play with) or has a dog in the fight.

I do trust companies who put their rep on the line by making statements, tho I temper them with a grain of salt and read VERY closely to see exactly what is said and ignore the implications.

So to answer your question, I cant answer your swing speed question yet.

All that considered, I am looking forward to the Eq release and hope it does well in the real world with regular detectorists. If it does, I'm in!

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love reading this. It just further clarifies to me that I don’t need to move out of my safari (I never questioned it). The shop that sold me mine years ago told me it would be the last machine I’ll ever need besides an underwater machine. I think he was right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread