Sunday afternoon Rev. War Battlefield

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Spent a couple of hours at a location I have permission to hunt. Here’s a couple of my finds with my safari:

First one, I am told, is indeed a colonial shoe buckle. If that’s true, and from the late 1700s, it’s quite possible I found exactly what I’ve been looking for: revolutionary war-era relics. I have zero idea on how to tell if it’s that old or not, but many friends on this forum have told me it’s a pretty done-deal. If that’s the case, I am one happy person and can’t wait to get back out there next week.

My other Find is probably stupid to many people, but I believe it’s my first square nail ever. It’s just one of those things that I’ve been wanting to find, and never did. It helps confirm for me that I am in an older area and not wasting my time.

I also found a bunch of clad, which always helps keep the spirits up lol. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510011757.866031.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510011768.774586.jpg

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Finds, I like square nails too, post a pic of that.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510017752.226578.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510017768.251862.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510017781.142469.jpg

My first square nail ever! I hope it’s old. Trying to do more research to confirm its age.

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Brett...

I love seeing those old war and early American relics. That's what hunting is all about in my opinion.

Go get some more and please post.

HH

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I will be searching this area really well on Sunday!

I am cleaning this square nail right now. I know that’s weird, but I just like the way they look. As you can see in the photos, it’s very rusty and has those rust globs all over it.

I am soaking it in white vinegar for a couple of days and then will brush it with a wire brush. I’m not worried if I accidentally ruin it. But does this sound like a good way to clean it?

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I will be searching this area really well on Sunday!

I am cleaning this square nail right now. I know that’s weird, but I just like the way they look. As you can see in the photos, it’s very rusty and has those rust globs all over it.

I am soaking it in white vinegar for a couple of days and then will brush it with a wire brush. I’m not worried if I accidentally ruin it. But does this sound like a good way to clean it?

Brett.... when it comes to cleaning my finds, I'm lousy at it. I look to everyone else for guidance. I'd like to see that nail once it's cleaned, if that's possible.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, here it is! I used white vinegar for 48 hours. After the first 24 hours, I used a wire brush to clean it. 24 hours later, I did it again. This is how it turned out.

Not too bad, although I still used the wire brush on it a lot, so I know most came off because of that. It didn’t just float the rust off of the nail, revealing its natural look.

In the pic with my hand in it, you can see bumps/divots on the nail. Do you think that was just where the rust ate in to? Or is this what square nails look like underneath? Also, do you think my nail was hand forged (is that the correct word?)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510198802.041773.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510198820.540308.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510198837.840953.jpg

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is great, thank you!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread