Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine what it would be like as a new detectorist whose first machine is a Safari...lol. I have never used one, almost bought one when transitioning from single band to FBS machines. I know I would not have been disappointed. Before my Etrac, I swung an Explorer SE and loved it. Finds bumped up unquestionably. But they are slow machines imho...and that takes special diligence when in the field...to let the machine work. I need to get more time with my Etrac though. Havent been out much at all this year with it.
it might have been a benefit in my case. When I turned it on it was the first time if ever swung ANY detector so all the sounds that it makes I just thought "ok, this is just what they do". Sure I dug a LOT of trash but that's part of learning the machine. And yes they are slow but being a beginner I was constantly reading "go low and slow" so its just how I learned. The weight of a Nox is pretty alluring I have to admit.

Mudslayer

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a good reason why Safari is about $1,000 now a long time out go new is was $699 the reason they were selling out because of one video

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
It will all come down to sales. If the fbs machines quit selling, they will quit making them. And when that happens, I dont think the technology of fbs will die, but will be incorporated into a new lightweight machine. I dont see fbs dying out completely, but it could evolve into something else. For me, I have never seen a detector that 90 percent of the time, I can tell what it is in terms of coins before I dig it. Thats just one advantage that fbs gives you.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Quattro they are the same thing as a safari the only difference is the Quattro is blue the Safari is brown.They are great detectors i had mine now right after they first came out and will never get rid of it. Lets see the Quattro & Safari you never see many of them for sale people that have them keep them. Now on the other hand you see the Equinox detectors for sale all over the place that should tell you something . I am 80 years old and still swing my Quattro . And do not complain oh it is to heavy for i never think of it as heavy i really like it. It only weights 3 3/4 lbs plus coil & battery.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the Safari and feel the same about it. Have you by chance used the Minelab 8' Pro coil for the FBS detectors? I may be considering one, but I'd like to hear more input from folks that are familiar with it. 80 years young, and still swinging the coil. God Bless, and stay at it.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was just looking at detectors at KellyCo, and the Safari is no longer offered. Well...it HAS been kind of expected. I have not used mine it perhaps 3yrs.? Been using the EQ 800, but I'll always keep the Safari, great machine, granted, a much slower recovery speed, but still a great detector. Never found the weight to be an issue, it seeming to be so well balanced, at least for me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Safari has been discontinued.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was just looking at detectors at KellyCo, and the Safari is no longer offered. Well...it HAS been kind of expected. I have not used mine it perhaps 3yrs.? Been using the EQ 800, but I'll always keep the Safari, great machine, granted, a much slower recovery speed, but still a great detector. Never found the weight to be an issue, it seeming to be so well balanced, at least for me.
Yup, I still have my Etrac. Great machine, but, it's gathering dust now that I have the Nox.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread