Let’s talk Safari settings

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So as I’ve stated, I’m very new to this and I’m still learning. I’ve done a lot of reading and experimenting with my machine. Custom settings seem to be what most folks that are experienced are using. I generally put my in one of the presets, sesntivity on auto and go. I DO have a coin setting which eliminates everything south of 29 except 15 for nickels. That one seems to be good for cherry picking. Anybody got any setting suggestions for me? I’d love to hear what your favorite 2 or 3 are.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I include 13 and 14. I my area 14 are buffalo and 13 were V’s. Give it a try, and gold ring came in at 14.....

OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I include 13 and 14. I my area 14 are buffalo and 13 were V’s. Give it a try, and gold ring came in at 14.....

Cool, thanks for the info. Also has anybody ever dug a good target with a 40id? It’s always screw caps down here.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot depends on where you hunt. At the beach, I run an open screen and just knock out the iron signals. As for 40 I.D. targets, I find lots of keys and tokens to read that number. Occasionally, you will get a corroded coin, such as an Indian Cent, Wheat cent, or even a silver dime.

OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot depends on where you hunt. At the beach, I run an open screen and just knock out the iron signals. As for 40 I.D. targets, I find lots of keys and tokens to read that number. Occasionally, you will get a corroded coin, such as an Indian Cent, Wheat cent, or even a silver dime.

Great info on 40, thank you

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open it up like cudamark suggests, and listen closely without relying on numbers only. Let the sounds be your guide, but ALWAYS dig 39’s!

OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open it up like cudamark suggests, and listen closely without relying on numbers only. Let the sounds be your guide, but ALWAYS dig 39’s!
Man down here in Alabama if you run wide open you can’t move without hitting iron. It’s literally everywhere. And yes, 37,38,39 ALWAYS gets dug.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I ever use is the "Relic" mode. I noise cancel, let auto ground balance take over, and go. VDI #'s I use as a reference only, It's the sound and pitch that gets my attention. It IS a slow recovery machine, and you really do need a slower sweep speed. I've had nickels as low as ten, may have been on edge? 9 and below has always been junk, (unless you relic hunt perhaps), but it really is the listening, sometimes a small high pitch tweak mixed with lower sounds where it's (should I dig?) has proven a pleasant surprise now and then. It would seem (at least in relic) that say a "14" mid to upper mid tone could very well be nickel (and of course some pull tabs and Gold? rings, but the same "14" in a high pitch is way more often then not a bottlecap. To me the biggest thing with the Safari, the key to it, is again, a slower walking and sweeping speed, and I find that the VDI #s are slower to catch up to the sound, on anything below a couple inches or so. I also very much go with "Timeloard" on the 13 and 14 numbers, there can be good stuff to be had there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprailroad, I also am in relic mode 95% of the time. Sometimes if I get a nice sound but can’t get it to repeat I’ll switch to all metal to see if the sound or the ID changes.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in all metal and just ignore the constant grunt of iron. I've found large cents and indian heads that ring up 27-28, Buffalo nickels 13, military buttons 12-20 and a small gold ring at 3. Most gold rings are 14-15 and a few at 32-33. I used to try to cherry pick but I always leave it wide open I want to hear everything since numbers get skewed with mineralization or iron nearby. I found a love token seated liberty dime that had been held with a piece of rusting wire and the vdi was all over but the nice silver sound was in there consistently so I dug.
A neat trick with the safari when you get a 13-15 is to flip between relic or all metal to coin or coin/ jewelry. In all metal the sound should be low and in coin jewelry the sound should be low and the sounds should almost stay the same. Low/ low =good (gold, nickel) , low/ hi =pull tab. You can do a quick air test and see what I mean. Its really handy. It sort of works with coins too. If the sound is close to the same in both modes its a good target. The bigger the spread of the tone in your ear, the more likely its junk. This is one really cool often overlooked feature of the Safari. Its almost like having two machines in one. Lemme know what you think. I don't use the Safari as much anymore since its not waterproof but I found two reales with it.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just hunt the local beaches, and use a modified coin & jewelry mode, and when I hunt I jump between that and the allmetal mode. It helps find those deeper Items item others miss.
:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in all metal and just ignore the constant grunt of iron. I've found large cents and indian heads that ring up 27-28, Buffalo nickels 13, military buttons 12-20 and a small gold ring at 3. Most gold rings are 14-15 and a few at 32-33. I used to try to cherry pick but I always leave it wide open I want to hear everything since numbers get skewed with mineralization or iron nearby. I found a love token seated liberty dime that had been held with a piece of rusting wire and the vdi was all over but the nice silver sound was in there consistently so I dug.
A neat trick with the safari when you get a 13-15 is to flip between relic or all metal to coin or coin/ jewelry. In all metal the sound should be low and in coin jewelry the sound should be low and the sounds should almost stay the same. Low/ low =good (gold, nickel) , low/ hi =pull tab. You can do a quick air test and see what I mean. Its really handy. It sort of works with coins too. If the sound is close to the same in both modes its a good target. The bigger the spread of the tone in your ear, the more likely its junk. This is one really cool often overlooked feature of the Safari. Its almost like having two machines in one. Lemme know what you think. I don't use the Safari as much anymore since its not waterproof but I found two reales with it.
VERY cool trick, I’m going to give it a try later today and I’ll let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok so I gave this a shot in my front yard yesterday. I tried the trick with multiple coins and pull tabs but I didn't hear any difference at all. My fear is that the sound difference is minimal and I'm just not hearing it. Geez I hope that's not the case!!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll play with it again and let you know. Its been a while but I remember that helping me. Also a gold ring that comes up 14-15 will sound lower in pitch than some but not all pull tabs that ring up 14-15. Did you notice that by chance? Thats easier to hear. So the trick I told you was going between coin/ jewelry and all metal. Even coins change pitch on my machine between the two modes. I do have a sensitive ear though.

OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll play with it again and let you know. Its been a while but I remember that helping me. Also a gold ring that comes up 14-15 will sound lower in pitch than some but not all pull tabs that ring up 14-15. Did you notice that by chance? Thats easier to hear. So the trick I told you was going between coin/ jewelry and all metal. Even coins change pitch on my machine between the two modes. I do have a sensitive ear though.

Well I didn't try it with gold I used a couple different year nickels and several pull tabs. I went from coin and jewelry to all metal and to my ear it sounded exactly the same. I'd love it if somebody else would try this and let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread