devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm currently considering purchasing a Minelab Safari to use for relics. My question is this: If I were to purchase the Minelab Safari handbook by Andy Sabisch, is this written in such a way that one could pretty much understand the settings and how to utilize the settings before actually purchasing the detector. It would be nice to know the basics and the functions beforehand. Any thoughts? Any opinions and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Kevin

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin you are absolutely correct, that is the bible on the SAFARI, I have one , there is NO better book on the Safari. The relic mode is really good for relics and the beach cause it will give you more depth on the beach than coin mode. The safari is an all terrain detector only 16" in calm water , coil connection. If you decide to get one call on Steve at Kellco in winter springs Florida. You won't be dissatisfied, love mine and always will-Period. With all the other Safari owners on Tnet.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Safari is a dynamite relic hunter that can stand right alongside the big boys. And DDN is right...Andy's book is THE Safari bible...but they're getting really hard to find.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought the EQ 800, but I will still keep and use the SAFARI, and a 5x8 coil is great on it, bought a lower shaft for the small coil, and switching between the two is so quick and easy. It's a slower machine, (recovery speed) but I think it's been under-rated. All I ever hunted in was the Relic mode. The 800 has more options of course, but there is a couple of things I like a little better with my Safari. I will use them both. Oh yes, the book, worth having, along with one of Andy's quote's, "The most valuable thing I have ever found while treasure hunting is piece-of-mind".

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd recommend getting the Equinox 800 instead. It's waterproof, faster processor, Has wireless headphones, better on small targets, better in thick iron, and $100 cheaper.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd recommend getting the Equinox 800 instead. It's waterproof, faster processor, Has wireless headphones, better on small targets, better in thick iron, and $100 cheaper.

Just curious if you own one. I see that you do own....most of the other ones hahaha. It’s hard to argue with what you said about it being water proof and faster. However as far as “better on small targets and in thick iron”, I’d say that’s a big negative. I hunt with two people (both more experienced than me) and they both have a Nox, one of them has the 600 and the other has the 800. Ive never been out hunted by either of them. They can cover more ground because the Nox is much fatser but I’m ok with that.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got mine used $650 15 inch wot coil. The eq is easier in iron patches but safari kills on farm fields. The big coil kills your shoulder tho if u get one. I love it. N the book is very helpful.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious if you own one. I see that you do own....most of the other ones hahaha. It’s hard to argue with what you said about it being water proof and faster. However as far as “better on small targets and in thick iron”, I’d say that’s a big negative. I hunt with two people (both more experienced than me) and they both have a Nox, one of them has the 600 and the other has the 800. Ive never been out hunted by either of them. They can cover more ground because the Nox is much fatser but I’m ok with that.

Yes, I own or have used just about every detector out there. IMO, the Safari was just a poor man's Etrac. They perform very much the same, but, the Safari had less in the way of adjustments. Why would you think it was a negative to be better at finding smaller targets and performing better in heavy iron? :icon_scratch: You can still cherry pick if you really want to avoid low conductors. As for you outhunting your detecting buddies, maybe you're just a better hunter, or have more experience on your machine compared to the limited experience they have on the Nox. I've had mine for about 3 months now and have approximately 250 hours on it, but, still feel I know the Etrac better since I have many 1000's of hours on it. That said, the Nox will hold it's own in most respects and exceeds the Etrac in finding small targets and in iron infested ground. I find the Nox is more stable in wet salt water sand and water too. Land hunting is very close, with the edge going to the Etrac for some areas. I like the target I.D. numbering and depth gauge better on the Etrac, over the Safari and Nox, which only use conductive numbers... especially on deep targets. Areas with lots of overlapping targets (I.E. trashy urban parks) the Nox is better because of the faster processor to help unmask the older/deeper items. You add the fact that the Nox is waterproof, very light to swing, and is cheaper, I can't think of why you would want to spend more for a Safari unless you already have accessories that fit it.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my Safari now 2 1/2 years, and I am still very happy with it. I also have the latest edition of the Safari book. If you want to get the most out of your safari get this book and read it several times.

Now for the down side of the Safari I as see it.
1. Weight....A sling or bungy type harness will cancel out the weight.
2. No backlight....I wear a headlight in the early morning hours.
3. Slow response time... You gotta go slow with a slow swing, that's 4 seconds left to right back to left.
4. The control box is only good in light rain....Use a environmental cover, also keeps the screen from getting scratched up.

As for the 600 or 800 there are just as many thing I don't like either
1. Battery is not user serviceable...you gotta send her in to get it replaced.
2. Battery's short run time about 9 hours....(I get 40 hours on the RBN rechargeable battery in my safari).
3. Cable wrapped around the shaft, and the unfriendly shaft length adjustment. (I adjust the shaft length on my Safari sever times during my hunt to accommodate the ground conditions).
4. Waterproofing is 10 feet for 1 hour....If your out in breaking surf that is not the type of machine you want(in my opinion), get an Excalibur instead.

Now if I was out to buy a new detector and had never own a Safari, it would be a hard choice between the the 800 or the Safari.
A Lot of people are driven by price. I prefer to go by features, and then to try and get the best deal I can.
Decide what features you really gotta have and get that machine.

Speed, lightweight, backlight = 800

Deeper, more coil choices, battery, shaft adjustment, no exposed cable to get snagged = Safari:hello:

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my Safari now 2 1/2 years, and I am still very happy with it. I also have the latest edition of the Safari book. If you want to get the most out of your safari get this book and read it several times.

3. Slow response time... You gotta go slow with a slow swing, that's 4 seconds left to right back to left.
4. The control box is only good in light rain....Use a environmental cover, also keeps the screen from getting scratched up.

2. Battery's short run time about 9 hours....(I get 40 hours on the RBN rechargeable battery in my safari).
3. Cable wrapped around the shaft, and the unfriendly shaft length adjustment. (I adjust the shaft length on my Safari sever times during my hunt to accommodate the ground conditions).
4. Waterproofing is 10 feet for 1 hour....If your out in breaking surf that is not the type of machine you want(in my opinion), get an Excalibur instead.

Now if I was out to buy a new detector and had never own a Safari, it would be a hard choice between the the 800 or the Safari.
A Lot of people are driven by price. I prefer to go by features, and then to try and get the best deal I can.

Deeper, more coil choices, battery, shaft adjustment, no exposed cable to get snagged = Safari:hello:
Excellent take! I’d never try to argue for a Safari over the 800, like I said, it’s faster and waterproof, not to mention lighter. I’ve just seen both Nox (6&8) perform very similarly to my Safari. Here in central Alabama we have iron EVEVRYWHERE and I’d say all three machines do relatively the same in relation to iron. But that’s with my stock coil, my 5x8 is much better in iron AND on small targets.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's right, I forgot about the backlight difference. That's where the 800 shines having three settings. If you hunt at night and want to see the display, that's the best machine out there for that.
As for your dislikes of the Nox.....
1. Does your machine have battery issues already? Or are you just concerned about the design? (initially I did too, but, I don't think it will be a serious issue. We'll have to wait and see on this one) I bet there will be lots of aftermarket options eventually.
2. I get over 10 hours of hunting on mine. With the cheap and easy to use backup battery packs out there, that isn't an issue with me either. I do agree that the RNB batteries are great! I expect they will make a replacement for the Nox once they get enough demand after the warranty expires.
3. Yeah, I agree, an internal cable would be better. The shaft adjustment however is very easy to change. Might take 5 seconds to change instead of 2 seconds on the Safari, but, I could use the extra rest! :laughing7:
4. I thought we were comparing the Nox with the Safari? In surf hunting, there's no comparison. The Nox is waterproof and the Safari isn't. The Nox is a bit more stable too. I guess some have had flood issues, but, so far, mine is working fine in the surf. All other water machines will have flooding issues too eventually (I.E. CTX, Excalibur, CZ20-1 Surfmaster, Sea Hunter, etc.) Having a sealed machine design should help in that respect since you don't have to open it up for any reason.

Once we get some coil options, that will negate some of the Safari advantages.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's true, but at this point the only thing I would get from getting an 800 is the lighter weight and a backlight. So until my machine breaks down or someone steals her, I'll keep plugging along with the sling and headlamp accessories:occasion14:.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread