Big coil question

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the title says, I’m kicking around the idea of buying a larger coil for my safari. Myself and a couple of my detecting buddy’s have great spot all to ourselves that has produced quite a bit of civil war relics. A lot of the swinging is in large open fields. So my thought was it would make it a bit easier to cover more ground and hopefully less likely to miss anything. Also, even if it’s only 1” of depth, that’s still an improvement. So I’d like to hear from you guys that have them and what you think about them. Thanks

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bigger coils will hit large targets deeper but smaller dime sized targets you will lose depth. Ive spoke to many coil engineers at Garrett I liked mine a little heavier but still could swing all day . great at pin pointing. do not use in trashy area it will hit many targets at once. Tommy

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too really liked my Safari, still do, but had only used the stock coil and a 5x8. I will admit though, I have taken the battery's out of it, because of the 800.

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using the 18" for a year now and love it
Tall grass, I use a different machine.

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using the 18" for a year now and love it
Tall grass, I use a different machine.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15" WOT by Coiltec has been good to me, I may have an extra I'd sell. Larger coils do not "lose depth" on small dime sized objects, they simply fail to see small objects at all but it has to be a really really big coil to miss dimes. I have hit 10" dimes with my WOT, it is not too big for dimes but it may miss earring backs, they are small.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15" WOT by Coiltec has been good to me, I may have an extra I'd sell. Larger coils do not "lose depth" on small dime sized objects, they simply fail to see small objects at all but it has to be a really really big coil to miss dimes. I have hit 10" dimes with my WOT, it is not too big for dimes but it may miss earring backs, they are small.
I might be interested in an extra if you have one, let me know. Thanks

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For fields, get the larger coil...only improves the Safari's already great relic performance. 😁

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any big coil I've ran definitely did not lose depth on smaller diameter coins or buttons. If it gets too heavy you could always wear one of the slings on the market.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used both the 15"WOT (both early 2 spoke and it's newer replacement) and the 15" NEL Attack coil. Both are excellent large coils. I haven't seen any lose of small targets. I can find jean rivets at 8" with both coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread