Safari and Equinox - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Safari and Equinox

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2013
    Michigan
    Minelab Safari
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettCo124 View Post
    If you can do it, I would keep the safari and absolutely get the equinox. If you aren’t looking for gold nuggets, then you’ll be fine with just the equinox 600. INSANELY WORTH THE PRICE TAG, which is somehow in my opinion priced way too low for such a powerful machine. I wouldn’t ever part with my safari though. The equinox will be used when I go on vacations and on beaches/in the water, and the safari is for everything else. I haven’t figured out exactly when I’d use the safari over the equinox, but I know for now, if something were to happen to one machine, I will have another monster waiting to be charged up and used. I bring both wherever I go because it’s just such a powerful duo to be honest, and if I’m driving hours to get to a location, i want two good machines on me.

The safari will always be a machine in my fleet. Lots of people don’t realize just how powerful of a machine it really is. Having both is really just a means of feeling comfortable if one machine were to break down.
    thanks i was just wondering what if... i will upgrade soon and keep the Safari nothing wrong with two Machine one the Wife can Use and ill use the other

us
    DB

Mar 2020
    Kentucky
    Vanquish 540
    14 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have a question for the Safari user/owners past and present. I gave some thought about buying a Safari. Why the Safari? As a beginner, I think the various modes and the simplicity to use them would work well for me. It also appears that they are reliable. So, I contacted a dealer who has some in stock to ask about this detector. His reply, why would you buy a Safari when you can buy an Equinox 600 or 800. Further, he stated that it is way too slow and I would not like it.

His answers bothered me. Not that I was completely sold on purchasing one but it was on my list of top 3. I was going to primarily hunt for coins in fields, playgrounds etc. I read forums about people who have the Safari and they seem to really like them. Any input that you have negative or positive about the Safari would be helpful. I currently to not have a detector and was trying to do my due diligence before purchasing one. Thanks!

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    401 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    Quote Originally Posted by cairnterrier View Post
    I have a question for the Safari user/owners past and present. I gave some thought about buying a Safari. Why the Safari? As a beginner, I think the various modes and the simplicity to use them would work well for me. It also appears that they are reliable. So, I contacted a dealer who has some in stock to ask about this detector. His reply, why would you buy a Safari when you can buy an Equinox 600 or 800. Further, he stated that it is way too slow and I would not like it.

His answers bothered me. Not that I was completely sold on purchasing one but it was on my list of top 3. I was going to primarily hunt for coins in fields, playgrounds etc. I read forums about people who have the Safari and they seem to really like them. Any input that you have negative or positive about the Safari would be helpful. I currently to not have a detector and was trying to do my due diligence before purchasing one. Thanks!
    There will be a bit of a learning curve with any detector, but given the cheaper costs of the Equinox and its faster responses I think the Nox would be better unless you can come across a good used Safari.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9170 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by cairnterrier View Post

The Safari is kind of a poor man's Etrac. Don't get me wrong, it's a good machine, but, a lot less adjustable than it's big brother. It's not waterproof either if that is important to you. The Equinox is a lot lighter too, which will be more important as you get older. If your budget will stand it, I'd get the Equinox. It's a better machine in every aspect, and the difference in learning it over the Safari is nil. There are several turn-on-and-go programs on the Nox. You can tweak it later as you learn all it's options.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    DB

Mar 2020
    Kentucky
    Vanquish 540
    14 times
    Metal Detecting
    I spoke to a dealer yesterday and it looks like as a semi beginner that I am going to buy the Safari. I had a Fisher decades ago and have decided to get back in to the game. My reasons whether valid or not with going with Safari is that I am primarily after coins, battery availability and replacement, learning curve (compared to others) and reliability to name a few. I am aware that the Safari is heavier, not water proof and slower recovery time and higher cost. Other detectors I consider were Equinox 600/800 and Vanquish 540 Pro Pack. I have not made final decision but I slept better last night after weeks of research.
    Last edited by cairnterrier; Mar 28, 2020 at 06:55 AM.
    jamest64 likes this.

us
    Mr.

Jan 2020
    Near Ann Arbor Michigan
    Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
    163 times
    Metal Detecting
    OK, my two cents. I purchased a Nox 800 in January. Like it very much. There is a learning curve. I would follow Cairnterrier's lead. If you are not sure about spending the money on a Nox. Consider the Vanquish. It has multi-frequency and it is cheaper. Don't forget you may need other stuff too. Proper pinpointer, digging tools, knee pads, gloves elect. Ad about 130 bucks. Buy a package deal. You will get most of what you need.
    cairnterrier likes this.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    401 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    Quote Originally Posted by jamest64 View Post
    OK, my two cents. I purchased a Nox 800 in January. Like it very much. There is a learning curve. I would follow Cairnterrier's lead. If you are not sure about spending the money on a Nox. Consider the Vanquish. It has multi-frequency and it is cheaper. Don't forget you may need other stuff too. Proper pinpointer, digging tools, knee pads, gloves elect. Ad about 130 bucks. Buy a package deal. You will get most of what you need.
    They all sound good, even the Vanquish, but I'd question how they all compare on depth without the added BS. The Safari does not truly compare to the Etrac or 3030 on depth, but I don't know of the Nox or the Vanquish's abilities on depth.

Cairnterrier If near a club or a dealer, see if they can advise you or let you try first hand each of them. If you get a comparrison, please reveal your results here.
    jamest64 likes this.

us
    DB

Mar 2020
    Kentucky
    Vanquish 540
    14 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaveab View Post
    They all sound good, even the Vanquish, but I'd question how they all compare on depth without the added BS. The Safari does not truly compare to the Etrac or 3030 on depth, but I don't know of the Nox or the Vanquish's abilities on depth.

Cairnterrier If near a club or a dealer, see if they can advise you or let you try first hand each of them. If you get a comparrison, please reveal your results here.
    The closest dealer is about 120 miles away. I spoke to them on phone and message. My first turnoff was when he claimed the only detector you want to buy now days is the Nox 800. When I spoke about other detectors the reply was you really need to buy a Equinox 600 or 800. Also, I wrote another dealer. The answer was the same. Basically, the answer was buy an Equinox or buy nothing. There is no doubt in my mind the Equinox is a darn good machine. I am just not a bandwagon type of person. I want a proven, reliable product. Also, I am a bit old fashion in that I have concerns about lithium battery pack. Yea, I know that some people totally believe it them. My son has a business that is non related to treasure hunting. He sells a product for outdoors people. This product contains a lithium battery. After approximately 2 years, many of those batteries start having issues with how long they hold a charge and/or have an increased failure rate. That is why I am a little biased. If a 3rd dealer I called last week can get me a Safari, I will purchase tomorrow. His candidness while answering my questions were noteworthy. Additionally, the prices were way lower than any big box store. I spoke with him about Simplex, Vanquish, Equinox, Safari and Garrett. The dealers primary detector by the way is a Nox 600. Thanks for input.
    jamest64, Swaveab and larrywv like this.

us
    Mr.

Jan 2020
    Near Ann Arbor Michigan
    Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
    163 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yes cairnterrier, let us know what you decide. there is one more thing I thought of....A lot of talk about depth. I find, in general, I don't really dig more than about 7-8 inches most detectors can handle that depth. Primarily because that is as deep as most stuff is where I detect. My guess is you are putting too much emphasis on depth? Not trying to be too critical or cynical here. Also, you asked about the Garrett 400. Only 2 issues with that unit, not waterproof and no volume control (its kinda loud in think).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links