Safari and Equinox

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, my two cents. I purchased a Nox 800 in January. Like it very much. There is a learning curve. I would follow Cairnterrier's lead. If you are not sure about spending the money on a Nox. Consider the Vanquish. It has multi-frequency and it is cheaper. Don't forget you may need other stuff too. Proper pinpointer, digging tools, knee pads, gloves elect. Ad about 130 bucks. Buy a package deal. You will get most of what you need.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, my two cents. I purchased a Nox 800 in January. Like it very much. There is a learning curve. I would follow Cairnterrier's lead. If you are not sure about spending the money on a Nox. Consider the Vanquish. It has multi-frequency and it is cheaper. Don't forget you may need other stuff too. Proper pinpointer, digging tools, knee pads, gloves elect. Ad about 130 bucks. Buy a package deal. You will get most of what you need.

They all sound good, even the Vanquish, but I'd question how they all compare on depth without the added BS. The Safari does not truly compare to the Etrac or 3030 on depth, but I don't know of the Nox or the Vanquish's abilities on depth.

Cairnterrier If near a club or a dealer, see if they can advise you or let you try first hand each of them. If you get a comparrison, please reveal your results here.

cairnterrier

Greenie
Mar 24, 2020
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They all sound good, even the Vanquish, but I'd question how they all compare on depth without the added BS. The Safari does not truly compare to the Etrac or 3030 on depth, but I don't know of the Nox or the Vanquish's abilities on depth.

Cairnterrier If near a club or a dealer, see if they can advise you or let you try first hand each of them. If you get a comparrison, please reveal your results here.

The closest dealer is about 120 miles away. I spoke to them on phone and message. My first turnoff was when he claimed the only detector you want to buy now days is the Nox 800. When I spoke about other detectors the reply was you really need to buy a Equinox 600 or 800. Also, I wrote another dealer. The answer was the same. Basically, the answer was buy an Equinox or buy nothing. There is no doubt in my mind the Equinox is a darn good machine. I am just not a bandwagon type of person. I want a proven, reliable product. Also, I am a bit old fashion in that I have concerns about lithium battery pack. Yea, I know that some people totally believe it them. My son has a business that is non related to treasure hunting. He sells a product for outdoors people. This product contains a lithium battery. After approximately 2 years, many of those batteries start having issues with how long they hold a charge and/or have an increased failure rate. That is why I am a little biased. If a 3rd dealer I called last week can get me a Safari, I will purchase tomorrow. His candidness while answering my questions were noteworthy. Additionally, the prices were way lower than any big box store. I spoke with him about Simplex, Vanquish, Equinox, Safari and Garrett. The dealers primary detector by the way is a Nox 600. Thanks for input.

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes cairnterrier, let us know what you decide. there is one more thing I thought of....A lot of talk about depth. I find, in general, I don't really dig more than about 7-8 inches most detectors can handle that depth. Primarily because that is as deep as most stuff is where I detect. My guess is you are putting too much emphasis on depth? Not trying to be too critical or cynical here. Also, you asked about the Garrett 400. Only 2 issues with that unit, not waterproof and no volume control (its kinda loud in think).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions