Antique ornate american Radiator heaters, sale? resale as antique, or hoard ?

treasureguy

Jul 24, 2007
central wa st
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Hello, i am new to scrapping, first time i went out looking i found a old fancy radiator heater in a alley, i asked the owners if they wanted me to get it off there hands and they said they would be happy to, they also have about 8 more of them in the basement i am picking up tommorrow, , --- i am guessing these are cast iron,------ question for you guys, is should i try to sale them as antiques, i see another guy in my area trying to sale one that looks the same as mine for $450 obo-------- i will have 9 of these things tommorrow, , i am guessing they range in 250 lbs to 400 pounds each, ----- or do i sale now, the scrap yard said this will go in the steel/ tin, pile at 2 cents to 3 cents a pound-------- is cast iron considered the same price as steel and tin all the time ? if i hoard for later when price go up for steel how long do you guys think it will be,, will this still be categorized as steel and tin still when i take back to junkyard ?---------- thanks for your help i just want to get the most i can for these,

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,244
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 3,506
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 4,275
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 3,366

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont scrap um sell um to a collector scrap prices are flat right now.

mnplumberman

Greenie
Jan 1, 2008
I would not srap them. I have looked for used radiators before when remodeling houses. They are
usually hard to come by. If I were you I would try to sell them. I would either contact a plumber, used/antique plumbing supply store, or Remodeling company. When I looked at them at a used plumbing supply store, I believe they were selling them for $20-$30 per rung. So the one you have pictured would probably sell for $350+ retail. Not saying you will get anywhere close to that, but you should be able to get way over scrap value.
-Good Luck
MNplumberman

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT SELL FOR SCRAP PRICE!

I would have to call them architectural salvage items. Look in the yellow pages for such places. They should bring a premium price. If you sell them personally, you might get more. But a dealer of this stuff will probably buy them all at one time. $200.00 each is not out of the question. Look them over for cracks though. If they were left outside over a winter with water inside, some cracks may have occurred. The cracks will be easy to spot, look for lines on rust. You scored some Christmas money this time!!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the previous posters. On one episode of This Old House Norm visited an architectural salvage place in, I think, Boston and the owner told him that he paid $10 apiece for old radiators. It wasn't clear if the 10 bucks was for each section or each whole radiator. The owner also commented that he sends a lot of steam radiators to a buyer in the Netherlands who strips and cleans the units for resale there and throughout Europe. There are a lot of people restoring old homes and they can change the boiler systems to more efficient units and retain the hot water radiators.

Anyway, don't scrap; rescue. :)

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Scrap this junk. It's taking up valuable space in your basement.
Rent out your saved space and make a killing.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a place in Orange California called Grandpa Snazzys. They buy radiators and most anything relating to vintage building parts furniture hardware etc. They have an awsome store! Might be worth giving them a call. If it's something they need or don't have you could turn a pretty penny even shipping FedEx heavy weight. Definately don't scrap them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread