Electric motors

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Nope, I just take them in all together. They are pretty heavy so I feel they hold their own.

Mar 4, 2009
Where should one look for a large quantity of large size permanent magnets (the bigger the better) that have been removed from electric motors. I'm playing around with magnetic forces and trying to figure out where to get a good size but cheap source of large magnets.

haz

Greenie
Jul 1, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, GTP 1350
Neodymium hard drive magnets, some are kinda thick, and can lift up to 20-25 lbs. Try ebay for cheap lots of them, or get broken/old hard drive and take them apart yourself, but you will need some smaller torx screwdrivers, like T8 and T6, sometimes even smaller.
Don't know if they are large enough, but they do sell large ones, I have seen them are big as a hockey puck, but those are expensive.

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. I knew there were magnets in hard drives but I didn't know they were that strong, thanks or the tip because it will come in handy later on.
A friend of mine once tore apart an old electric motor and inside he took out 4 magnets approximately 3/4th inch thick, 3"wide, 3 and 1/2 inch tall magnets shaped kinda like part of the letter C. I was wondering where a source of used magnets of this nature may be found such as where would the largest amount of these motors be dissembled at and if there isn't a high demand for magnets to be recycled I'm hoping to obtain them cheap enough to be able to purchase 40 or 50 of them or more. I was just curious if scrapers may know where the best point or place of disassembling one might have the best shot of obtaining the salvaged magnets.
Thanks again.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Most large motors are AC and most of these don't have magnets.
A good source of large magnets is the magnetron in all microwave ovens and from large woofer speakers.

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks pigiron I didn't know microwaves had a magnet in them, That's pretty cool to know. I'll check it out tomorrow because I have a couple non working microwaves in my junk pile. Also I seem to run across microwaves when I'm out salvaging so it would be great if the magnets in microwaves are big enough to use.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
This is a picture of a typical magnetron.
This with the High Voltage transformer (15lb) and the fan motor is accepted by my yard as "electric motors".

Attachments

• magnetron.jpg
    magnetron.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,085

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a pile of magnets at a flea market... At first the vendor wanted $1 each because they are more than super strong....and are about the size of a standard domino.

As I talked to him, I had to smile at his observations: He removed these (as in I bought all he had) and let them stick themselves together. He said, "What's really odd about those(as in: I just sold this guy these weird magnets and made a killing) is that when they stick together, they lose their magnetism." What he didn't realize is that these had their poles front to back and not the normal bar magnet with poles on each end... He had one stuck to the end of a vertical steel bar stuck in the ground and then had it holding a 16" long screwdriver straight out.

For $60 dollars I got over 140 of these strong buggers. If you are not careful, they will pinch a blood blister they snap together so fast and are so strong that you have to slide them sideways to get them apart...wish I'd had this kind when I was a kid.

Mine will go for some magnetic repulsion motor experiments, wind generator experiments, and 3 or 4 stuck to the back of a metal bar that's mounted to the wall and holds all my wood chisels...

Your time this winter spent taking apart DC motors might get you some "big boy toys" and good money selling just the magnets. ;>) Just be careful while working and watching TV in your easy chair and don't drop two of them down in your lap....

Bill

DEMERSON

Dec 17, 2008
Hemet,ca
Detector(s) used
fisher F2
I just finished scraping three harley davidson starter motors. used a metal blade on my grinder and split the case in two. then took the sawzall to the top and bottom of the windings and punched out the remaining wire. i would say the casing is about the same weight as the wire inside if not a little bit more. so for me it's worth it to have a few cold ones and tinker on the weekends. plus i get to use POWERTOOLS!!!!!!.

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
TexasDeere said:
traderoftreasures said:
i buy electic motors for .20 cents a pound delivered to jonesboro , illinois visit http://www.firstamericancore.com for contact info

I wish you were in Texas. The scrap yards around here only pay $.05 a pound. I have a ton of them and hope prices go up since copper has improved.
man thats oly 100.00 a ton way less than the 400.00 a ton i pay. i also pay 300.00 a ton for batteries

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
So are you buying these motors for core to rebuild, or are they going overseas as scrap. What about split magnet motors with copper wound armatures? Also, are you buying copper wound transformers for the same price?

Thanks!

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
silversaddle1 said:
So are you buying these motors for core to rebuild, or are they going overseas as scrap. What about split magnet motors with copper wound armatures? Also, are you buying copper wound transformers for the same price?

Thanks!
i do not know if they are going oversea but they are getting shredded for copper. i also buy transformers and copper wound armatures but no ballast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread