Silver In Old X-Ray Negatives?

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

littledmac

Greenie
Oct 20, 2009
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x aquanaut/Bounty Hunter Tracker ID 505
I am an X-ray/CT Technolgist. I have been in the profession for 15 years. There is probably some Silver in the old X-ray films, but I wouldn't know how to extract it. Years ago before digital radiography, we actually developed film in a dark room. The X-ray processor, which takes the film and develops it into a radiograph (x-ray picture) had a tank next to it that extracted silver and collected it through a filtration system. It did this just like a oil filter in a car. The tank had hoses coming from the processor and simply filtered the fluids (fixer and developer) in the processor. Once a year or so they replace this tank and took the silver. So what remained in the x-ray films after the developing process is unknown to me. I have had access to thousands of films, and never really thought about it. Years ago, we just through them away in the trash. Now with all the privacy issues with patient information, I believe they have to go to an outside company to be destroyed now. It is an interesting thought. I may have to research it... There are some places that still use the old real film systems, but they are dissappearing quickly with Digital radiography. Just as digital cameras have made film cameras nearly obsolete. Let me know if you have any other questions.

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
There is a lot of silver in old xray film.

Most hospitals now are going digital which means the old film xrays are disappearing. The good thing is that as the hospitals digitize their old films they are getting rid of this stuff by the ton.

From what I was told they soak the films in bleach and end up with a bunch of silver nitrate powder in the bottom of the reaction vessel. Then they just burn off the nitrates and they have pure or nearly pure silver.

I hears a large trash can of the stuff has around 100 ounces.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread