Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Dec 2004
    wilmington nc
    used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

computer scrap fingers

i have access to a bunch of old pcs. is it better to cut the fingers off the cards or just try to e-bay the whole cards?

HH

us
    Dec 2004
    wilmington nc
    used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
    8 times

Re: computer scrap fingers

nobody?

us
    Nov 2009
    Evans Colorado
    AT Pro
    97 times

you talking about the gold ends on the cards? I don't think your going to get much if anything on ebay by time you pay ebays percent. I just take the whole card into the scrap center with the towers for the weight.

us
    Dec 2004
    wilmington nc
    8 times

thanks

haz
    us
    Jul 2007
    Oklahoma
    ACE 250, GTP 1350

If you have about 1lb of them, they sell for $40+ on ebay, look up gold fingers under the computer section, or gold scrap. You can cut them off with a pair of tin snips, or a band saw but it makes dust.

us
    Dec 2004
    wilmington nc
    8 times

i checked out ebay. looks like it might be worth it for some extra money.

us
    Dec 2008
    6 times

Always cut the gold fingers off the cards. Our local scrap yard will still pay pretty good money for the cards with the fingers removed. And yes, they sell like hell on e-bay. Why? Because they are the easiest thing to refine and recover the scrap gold. most people start with fingers. And $40.00 a pound is small potatoes. Make sure when you trim the fingers you stay as close to the gold as you can. Close trimmed fingers will fetch upwards to a hundred dollars a pound. I have well over 50 pounds of fingers that I have been saving for a few years now. Someday when I retire I'm gonna learn how to refine them myself!

us
    Nov 2009
    Evans Colorado
    AT Pro
    97 times

wow didn't know this about the fingers sure going to start saving them. Don't get much computer stuff anymore but will snag what I can now. Thanks for the info.

us
    Dec 2008
    6 times

If you have a local yard that will buy your electronic scrap, computers are a great way to earn a little extra cash. Everything in a computer is recyclable. And it's a clean type of scrap so you can take them apart in the house if you wish. You can get computers for free just about anywhere anymore! One thing before you start scrapping computers, make sure you have an outlet for the CRT monitors. It can get pretty pricy to dispose of them properly. We always charge $5.00 more than the disposal fee to recycle monitors. They are a pain.

us
    Nov 2009
    Evans Colorado
    AT Pro
    97 times

We have a place that recycles electronics but they charge to take them. Pretty much everything with a computer the scrap yard will take except keyboards and monitors. I know I had 40 computer towers and more hard drives than that that I got from a guy I took the hard drives apart for the aluminum and did pretty good on them but sure wish i would have known about the fingers I had a huge amount of cards for those towers. Makes me want to cry now how I just tossed them in the scrap pile with the towers. To bad not friends with that dude anymore I could get more PC stuff.

us
    Dec 2004
    wilmington nc
    8 times

after you cut the fingers off, is there any scrap value for the fingerless card?

us
    Oct 2007
    Northern, OH
    DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
    96 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Ok I guess I am dumb what are you talking about (fingers) I have excess to computers now and then That I always sell for scrap so where are the fingers....Matt
    CRH 2014 find
    wheaties
    War Nickels
    Buffalo
    Mercs 4
    Rosie 6
    90% Kennedy
    Franklin
    Walkers
    40% halfs
    Detecting Finds
    Dollars
    Quarters `
    Silver Quarters
    Dimes
    Silver Dimes
    Nickels
    Pennies
    Wheaties
    rings

us
    Nov 2009
    Evans Colorado
    AT Pro
    97 times

Pull out one of the cards the video or hd controler and look at the gold color at the bottom where it fits in the slot on the motherboard

us
    Dec 2008
    6 times

The finger edges are the gold plated edges that plug your card into the socket on the motherboard. Just google gold finger edge photo and you'll see what they are.

Yes, most yards will still buy the boards with the fingers removed. As almost everybody removes them nowadays, it's almost the norm.

us
    Dec 2004
    wilmington nc
    8 times

thanks....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors