Old Arc Welders

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Good question, I have a giant Hobart I haven't been able to sell cheap, or trade off.

There's a fair amount of copper in the welding leads, and there should be copper in the windings of the transformer, as well as brass maybe (yellow brass).

I need to check local prices and see if now is the time to scrap it, the thing is taking up space.

Would be interested in hearing how you go about stripping one. I know how to strip the leads, I cut the rubber off instead of burning, clean copper pays more and there's no toxic smoke. I put one end in the vise, stretch it tight, and draw a knife down the cable. I suppose you just cut the windings and get them off the inside, would be a lot of cutting on this Hobart. Part of the transformer should be brass, from what I'm told, and they said it would be quite job getting everything out of the inside.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
most of the weight of a welder is used in the main core that the copper is wound around.
while there is copper in them, I think it would be a lot of work to recover it, however,
if you have the time have at it, money is money, no matter where you get it.
I would burn the resins off the wire though, otherwise you'll take a serious hit for dirty
copper

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Should pay better than selling it as scrap iron. My Hobart is real heavy, have to take the leads and cord off of it when I lift it with a tripod, and it makes the truck lean bad. I would guess 800-1000lbs.

Going to be a shame scrapping the cart, but I have no use for it. The welder still works, but nobody wants it.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double check on the inside of the welder. Most of the weight comes from the iron core and most of the large wire is aluminum...

Bill

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
What a coincidence that you posted that today billjustbill, I've been working on the welder just now and came in to see if there's such a thing as white copper. haha Nope.

Most of the copper will come from the welding leads, and a few large cables inside, it was very easy to slit and peel the rubber off.

All the copper wound in the very large coil will fit in one hand, the rest is a flat aluminum band wound into the coil. One end of each band went to the control dials and the other end to the power source. The large coil must weigh around 300-400lbs, most of it's weight is definitely iron.

There's a smaller coil about 1/8 the size of the other, and it's made the same way.

Oh well, I needed to to tear it down anyway so I could load it, and I freed up some needed space in the shop.

I took pics of the tear down, but it seems to not be worth posting.

Last I checked, our price was $2.80 for #1, $2.40 for #2, about 10 days ago. We'll see, possibly tomorrow.

pizzaman55792

Jun 16, 2006
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202, ace 250
billjustbill said:
Double check on the inside of the welder. Most of the weight comes from the iron core and most of the large wire is aluminum...

Bill

Are you sure it is aluminum or could it be tin coated copper? Try scraping the wire and see if the tin comes off.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
pizzaman55792 said:
billjustbill said:

Bill

Are you sure it is aluminum or could it be tin coated copper? Try scraping the wire and see if the tin comes off.

Definitely aluminum in my case. White/silver all the way through, and lightweight.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Here's a peek inside:

Attachments

• Hobart.JPG
    Hobart.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 6,230
  • Inside welder.JPG
    Inside welder.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 6,372
  • welder large coil.JPG
    welder large coil.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 3,056
  • welder small coil.JPG
    welder small coil.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 5,036

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Yep I would tear it apart but I love tearing things apart. Also if that wire on the sides go with it then strip the outer covering off it that is worth a lot more without the covering that with it. Case in point here insulated wire is only .35 cents a pound and uninsulated is $2.32 a pound. It's easy to strip being that thick just use a utility knife and make a slice along it's length then peal it off the wire.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread