coax cable??

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have quite a bit of larger coax cable. my dad was ham radio nut. the cable has the plastic coating then a copper shield.and 1/8" core. the problem I'm having is the copper shield is coated with a brown resin. if i warm the resin it gets really sticky. i can get it off using a wire wheel. does any body have any ideas on how to get the resin off? or should i just leave it on and sell it for a lower grade copper?

OP
OP
P

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the yards around here wont take it as coated wire. but there is quite a bit of copper to be recovered in this cable. most will say its not worth the time, but time is all i have i am disabled and cant work. so i figured i have the time to recover what most wouldnt bother with, it all adds up. the core wire alone is over a 1/4" solid wire.

OP
OP
P

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i figured a somewhat easier way to strip this coax. i recovered a bunch of copper from it. not quite enough to fill a medium flat rate usps box so i topped it off with some other copper, got 30lbs in the box put it up on ebay and i got $80.60 for it. that's almost $10.00 more than bringing it to the yard. the p.o. is a five min ride the yard is close to 45min. but after paypal fees and ebay fees ill come close to yard price .

OP
OP
P

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Business & Industrial > Manufacturing & Metalworking > Metals & Alloys
that's the category i used and had good luck with it. i think if you put scrap copper in you title they will find you. what seems to be good about the ebay crowd is that you get,arts and crafts people bidding also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread