billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At a garage sale this weekend, two fellows were talking about some aluminum car rims that were for sale. One of the fellows said he worked at a California scrap yard back in the '80's that crushed whole cars....

He said that the several people selling the cars tried to make them weigh more.... When the car went through the crusher used back then, many times as it was compressed, water would come gushing out like small geysers.... Apparently, the seller would take a water hose and soak the interior's carpeting, seats, and even the head liner to get added weight.....

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
My wife forced me to collect aluminum cans for nearly 2 years. I would stand out on the front porch and crush them by stomping them. After all that time, I hauled all those bags to a "Golden Goat" machine to turn them in.

I received a whopping $8.00

Needless to say, aluminum cans go into the garbage now. I could have spent that time reading or something.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
My wife forced me to collect aluminum cans for nearly 2 years. I would stand out on the front porch and crush them by stomping them. After all that time, I hauled all those bags to a "Golden Goat" machine to turn them in.

I received a whopping $8.00

Needless to say, aluminum cans go into the garbage now. I could have spent that time reading or something.

By me they are .75/ lb

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
cyberdan said:
Ok let me put this in simpler terms.
Which weighs more?
This Cadallic
1982eldorado0423.jpg

or this crushed Cadallic?
2539666309_67c4355fd9.jpg

This Toyota mini-van
37686.jpg

or this crushed Toyota mini-van
2540482760_5ed1bee086.jpg

2539663961_8686f3b448.jpg

this reminds me of how my grandmas old buick was totalled in a police chase...just a few years back...

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
Ok while the weight thing, per can, seems obvious, here's the real question (IMO) -

Will recyclers take bags of flattened cans? Im trying to recycle on a large scale, but Im not standing at the goddamn can machine at stop n shop for three hours putting in one can at a time. If I can drop them in bags of 500 or whatever Ill do it, but I wonder if theyll take them that way.

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
tenseventyfive said:
Ok while the weight thing, per can, seems obvious, here's the real question (IMO) -

Will recyclers take bags of flattened cans? Im trying to recycle on a large scale, but Im not standing at the goddamn can machine at stop n shop for three hours putting in one can at a time. If I can drop them in bags of 500 or whatever Ill do it, but I wonder if theyll take them that way.
ya they will...they like it better if you can bail them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions