Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Dec 2008
    1 times

How Do You Scrap A Window Air Conditioner?

Does anyone know how to scrap a window air conditioner? Is it alot of work to get the metal out of these? What kind of refrigerant are in these, and what kind of precautions do you have to take?

us
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits."~Albert Einstein

Jan 2007
    Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
    249 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: How Do You Scrap A Window Air Conditioner?

The way I would scrap a window air conditioner is contrary to the EPA guidelines. The aluminum condenser housing goes into one barrel. The steel framework goes into another one along with the cut up steel housing. If the motor is not running; it 's up to you if you want to strip out the copper wire. Although, it isn't worth you time to strip out the copper. The part where I differ from the EPA, is I just cut the freon line and let it empty before cutting up the lines and condenser. I wouldn't fool with a recovery tank, etc. because I wouldn't be doing enough AC's.
    "Dobie created the HUNGER............Von Mueller said, EAT". comment by HELM Associates on the dedication page of their book, Treaasure Lead Generation.

us
    Sep 2004
    TX
    Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
    3 times

Also separate out the copper tubing. Most recycle yards will not take the compressor if it still has the compressor oil in it (some require holes drilled in it), so I drill two holes in the side and drain the oil out. I have two plastic gallon jugs of used compressor oil, still trying to figure out what to do with it. If you are real industrious you can cut the compressor open (I use an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade) and get the motor out and remove the copper wire windings. I have done a couple of AC unit compressors, I have found them to be a pain as they have a shellac coating on them. Refrigerator compressors are a different story. They do not have the coating, and are much easier to remove the windings. I have filled a 5 gallon bucket with the windings from refrigerator compressors, and am working on my second. Also, cut out all the wiring harness from the AC unit. Insulated copper wire can be sold separate, and you get much better price than if you just left them with the steel case.

NGE
    us
    May 2008
    S.E. Michigan
    Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
    78 times
    metal detecting, fishing, photography

I have an old rear axle assembly from my old truck. It weighs about 350lbs. is it worth the time to haul it to the scrap yard? If so, at least that will get rid of the nagging I get every day about, "GET THAT THING OUTTA MY FLOWERS!" I tell her, "It was there b4 the flowers" .......NGE
    Exposure to the Son prevents burning

fr
    Mar 2010
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by nowgittineverything
    I have an old rear axle assembly from my old truck. It weighs about 350lbs. is it worth the time to haul it to the scrap yard? If so, at least that will get rid of the nagging I get every day about, "GET THAT THING OUTTA MY FLOWERS!" I tell her, "It was there b4 the flowers" .......NGE
    price of steel is down a bit but at .06 a pound you would make $21.00...

us
    Sep 2004
    TX
    3 times

It would be a win-win situation, you get more than fuel cost out of taking it in and the nagging disappears.

us
    Feb 2010
    Formerly NH now East Tennessee
    Garrett GtaX1250
    1714 times

Here that would be considered #1 steel (more money) IF you cut it into 3 pieces. They have a size limit on large items. If you do that do NOT use a torch to cut it. I once saw a guy set himself on fire doing exactly that when the burning gear oil shot out of the hole he cut and got onto his pants... Hauling it in whole would be the safest option but may pay less money. Oh yeah.. this is in response to the guy asking about scrapping a rear axle.. Releasing freon into the air is something I'm not going to comment on...
    Live Free or Die

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2007
    Mn.
    E-TRAC
    395 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

I think you better get it out of the flowers and send it to the scrap yard or you might have to change your name back to what it use to be.

us
    sirdigsthepennies

Apr 2008
    st. joseph missouri
    old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
    18 times

get it stripped down to the guts take a sawz all cut the elbows off which are copper and all the tubbing which are copper knock the metal ends off of the coils cut all the wiring off of the unit and some times the blades are lite wieght aluminum seprate them into buckets and keep adding to the buckets untill full dont strip or burn the wiring you get less if you burn and only #1 is worth stripping #1 wire is as big as a pencil lead or bigger thats the plan i use every time i strip one

us
    Sep 2004
    TX
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by olepossum
    get it stripped down to the guts take a sawz all cut the elbows off which are copper and all the tubbing which are copper knock the metal ends off of the coils cut all the wiring off of the unit and some times the blades are lite wieght aluminum seprate them into buckets and keep adding to the buckets untill full dont strip or burn the wiring you get less if you burn and only #1 is worth stripping #1 wire is as big as a pencil lead or bigger thats the plan i use every time i strip one
    That's pretty much it in a nutshell. One difference is though on the metal ends of the coils sometimes they are aluminum, so they can stay on the coils. If they are steel, definitely remove them. A simple magnet test will tell if they need to be removed or not. I have coolers right now that I am hoarding until the prices go up that has aluminum ends, and I just left them on there.

pk
    Sep 2010

Window unit,
    My mom told me that a guy who scraps said that if you take it apart you will get more money.
    But i don't understand what i need to take out. Please help
    Furnace Replacement

us
    Jul 2008
    Indiana
    Excalibur II
    1 times

you need the motor, the part that looks like a radiator in a car, cut out all the copper tubing, cut off the plug-in wire and put it with the rest of your copper wire, and the compresser. thats about it I think
    "Cows sure are creative with their poop, huh daddy?"-Madison (my daughter)

us
    Jul 2008
    Indiana
    Excalibur II
    1 times

do they even have EPA guidelines in Pakistan?
    "Cows sure are creative with their poop, huh daddy?"-Madison (my daughter)

us
    Oct 2010

Air Conditioners (A/Cís) are worth recycling. They are made of several recyclable materials, such as copper aluminum, tin, and electronic motors.

If you are an air conditioning contractor then we can pay you for your old air conditioners that are out of use.
    If you do not have a valid HVAC license then we cannot purchase from you as it is thought of as a theft item then by police.

air conditioner service

ca
    Jun 2011

Quote Originally Posted by value
    Air Conditioners (A/Cís) are worth recycling. They are made of several recyclable materials, such as copper aluminum, tin, and electronic motors.

If you are an air conditioning contractor then we can pay you for your old air conditioners that are out of use.
    If you do not have a valid HVAC license then we cannot purchase from you as it is thought of as a theft item then by police.

air conditioner service
    That's right... we should only choose HVAC contractors that have valid HVAC licenses. I usually consider also the quality of consumer service to analyze the quality of HVAC contractor before making deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors