Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Apr 2009
    Ohio
    38 times

Upright Pianos

I see throught the free section of Craigslist that there are upright pianos offered. Is there enough scrap value in these heavy beasts to make it worth your while?

us
    Sep 2004
    TX
    Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
    3 times

Re: Upright Pianos

There is a lot of metal in them, but it is mainly steel & iron, the lowest paying metals. Then you still have all the wood and other non-metals to dispose of.

us
    Sep 2004
    TX
    Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
    3 times

The only way it would be worth taking those is if you restored them and resold as a piano, otherwise not worth the trouble.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB
    61 times

Right on for charging a removal fee. Scrap isn't too good. Depending on the wood, try running an ad for turners (wood lathe). A lot of guys will buy the wood if the price is right. You'll probably be cheaper than a lumber yard.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

Feb 2008
    Texas
    Minelab SN/XS
    127 times

Two years ago, the city sponsored a "Clean Up Day" for residents living around the lake. They marked 10 zones where you could dump anything.

One zone had a full grown upright piano... By the time I got there, somebody had taken a huge chunk of concrete and let it do it's damage.... Not much there of use before they put the chunk into the the metal frame and back sound board.

It was a bit sad to see the manufacture date of 1922 and all the thin veneer scuffed off the plywood. I did take the end of a 4 ft. long 2x4 and quickly shoved it along the black keys to shear them off. The fancy wood, if it's true Ebony, is glued to the key action levers. So with the old hide glue used back then, almost every one popped loose at the old glue joint. A full length of black key, plus half the width of another is enough to make a writing pen from those kits you can buy at Woodcraft, etc.

The true treasure in that sad sight came from those black keys. You see, one board foot of Gaboon Ebony, a piece 1" thick, 12"x12", now cost $129.00
    "Chance Favors the Prepared Mind."
    Louis Pasteur

us
    Feb 2008
    southern NJ
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

The ivory veneers on the keys of older pianos can be sold as well. eBay is a good place.

Oct 2014
    I think that*this information is*the best.
    Last edited by Apple18; Oct 19, 2014 at 05:29 PM.

Oct 2014
    2 times
    If a guy had a way to store them and get enough of the sound boards to make a ton cast iron goes for more than just steel scrap. I have seen a lot of different people take the wood and turn it into small boxes, picture frames and cabinets from the quarter sawn white oak on many of the old uprights. I think right now on CL here there are 4 or 5 for free. Need time and my wife won't let me bring any more stuff home until I clean up the stuff I have now!

Could be a market so do some research in your area for crafters and re-purposing folks,

Jeff

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    4695 times
    The Truth
    Do a little research on the piano before you plan on selling it for scrap.Some pianos go for a nice hunk of change.
    YOU KNOW MY STANCE,LIVE FREE OR DIE

ďA manís rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.Ē

Feb 2008
    Texas
    Minelab SN/XS
    127 times
    The cast iron frame for the strings is under a lot of stress pressure. And remember that many of those piano wire strings have a lot of power stored in them when you use a small bolt cutter to clip them out of the way.

You're right about the price of cast iron being higher that scrap steel. Last Friday, I sold a mix of metals. The cast iron brought 190/Ton.....

Good luck, but be careful around those sound boards..

Bill
    "Chance Favors the Prepared Mind."
    Louis Pasteur

Sponsors