Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know of an easy way to remove a tire from a rim, other than the machines tire shops use? Time to time I have been able to have access to rims with tires, but have passed on them due to I do not have access to one of the machines that tire shops use to remove tires from rims. I currently have a couple of aluminum rims with tires, waiting for the time I can get something figured out.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As this is posted in scrap metals I assume you are not worried about the wheels. How about using a sawzall and making two cuts 180 degrees apart, pull the two pieces off?

Or fire? :o ;D

K

Kentucky Kache

First you have to break it down. Usually you can do this by laying it flat and driving over the tire. You might want to invest in a hand breaker. After tire is broke down, put a tire tool inside and bend the inside edge of tire up. Put another tire tool a few inches from the first and do it again. Keep doing this until only one side is left hanging on the rim. For the other side, put a tire tool inside (tire standing up) and pull it down on the tire, so that a small portion of rim is out of the tire. Then start hitting the edge of the tire (where it meets the part of the rim that's sticking out) with a heavy hammer until it comes loose. It might help to lather the tire and rim with soapy water before starting.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same idea Kentucky Kache told you.

larger tools for larger tires though.

and remember Take the Valve stem Core out first
so when you Drive over the Edge to break
it loose there is no air left in the tire.

i like this

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the same as Digginthepast said. I use a sawall. I just make one cut and cut clear into the rim so to get the bead cut. Then just pull the tire off the rim. Old floppy tires just fall off. Stiff ones arn't much harder to take off. I guess if I ever run into a very stiff tire I would make the two cuts like he does. That makes good sence.

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I tried running over the tire, and got the bead on one side broken, but still could not on the other side. I think I will try the sawzall method next.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wayne1956 said:
Well, I tried running over the tire, and got the bead on one side broken, but still could not on the other side. I think I will try the sawzall method next.

unless they are making rims different

You only need one side Broken.
Pull that end off, the other should be easy after that.

at the most turn it over and walk on it to pop it in

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I used to manage an auto salvage yard and the way we did it was with a hydraulic log splitter slightly modified to have a dull blade and 2 posts to push against . It will crush the rim inwards and allow it to fall out of the tire. The 2 posts opposite the ram cause the rim to collapse into a triangular shape. Not a very sensible option though if you only have a few to do. Sawzall would be the best option I think. On another subject we used to cut tread into racing slicks using a chainsaw when we were racing a dirt track stock car... Here Bubba.. hold my beer & watch this.. :laughing9:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
same idea Kentucky Kache told you.

larger tools for larger tires though.

and remember Take the Valve stem Core out first
so when you Drive over the Edge to break
it loose there is no air left in the tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36BzRsc8Cvc

i like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS8fmNCdx-w&feature=related
This how the transients are ripping off tires from trucks here. They pop three or four stems on the outside rears and take off. They comeback later and pop them off the rims leaving the truck sitting on the inside tire. Off they go with three or four tires to sell to uncle Julios Tire shack.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread