niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a keel from a sailboat that burned in a house fire. It weighs #1200, with #800 being lead and the rest cast iron. The lead is cast into a block at the end of the iron. I took it to the scrap yard and they told me 4 cents a pound. I took it home again. Does 4 cents a pound seem reasonable to anyone? Thanks, Niffler.

WildernessAU

Dec 25, 2009
I haven't sold to scrapyards yet, but I would say no way! Lead is about $1.00/lb, market price.
Do what you can to separate the lead from the steel. or try to sell the whole keel to someone that will offer you a fair price. $400+. If it's still useable try to sell it to a boat place.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find business that is processing old car batteries ... you will get a fair price for lead from them. Watch current prices from scrap yards in the vicinity. People want to pay you the haul-away prices, if they can get away with it. This is a huge business right now -- much cheaper to scour scrap yards than to mine ore, process into metals and ship it to customer.

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
That's pretty low Niffler. I live in Spokane and lead here is hovering about .20/lb. Take a sawzall and lop the lead part off the steel. Anything that is mixed will always be sold for less than the value of the cheaper metal (your cast in this case which is about .07/lb here)

If you go the sawzall route use a good demo blade rather than a fine metal blade as lead is quite soft and will plug up a metal blade.

-Lance

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
niffler, I happen to build large wooden sailboats for a living. Have built boats all my life. 4 cents a pound means the guy wants nothing to do with dealing with lead, or he is a thief.

I paid about .70 cents per pound for nearly a 3 ton (5600#) two years ago. Have not looked at prices recently but a buck per pound as already mentioned sounds right. I wish I could take it off your hands but I've got enough right now and I'm probably too far away to make a transfer worthwhile. I get my lead in Carol City outside of Miami. I'm in the Lower Keys.

If you put some ads in papers or online I'd have to think somebody would take it. Don't expect more than half market value. The person buying it has to move the stuff and that is one pain in the butt and costly too. They'll have to make a profit also.

OT

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could make a lot of bullets. ;D

Stop in a local gun shop and ask if they know anyone that does their own casting of bullets for reloading.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Good idea by the one-eyed black cat. Boise? Isn't CCI out that way? Maybe some ammo manufacturer in you area would be interested. I cast many bullets but don't need another 1200 pounds.

OT

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
AS IS $48.00

If you cut out the lead

800 @ .50 - $400.00

400 @ .07 = $$28.00

So $428.00 VS $48.00 up to you if you have the time

OP
OP
niffler

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for he replies. Obviously I am going to have to separate the metals for a good price. Thanks for all the advice. Niffler

cage228

Jan 3, 2009
Niff, Friend did it. Break off in chunks that will fit in usps flat rate box. Tryed alot of things. Best rent a jack hammer and chunk it off. Sell on ebay you may be supprised. imho will be!! Hope this helps and good luck----------------

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I would suggest to scrap and melt it your self. Buy a Salt Water fishing weight mold and sell the sinkers ,should be good for about 50 cent for a one ounce sinker- email me for my cut of the profits- goldnugget-Charlotte,N C

tenglish1966

Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a lead keel and live in Arkansas and will drive to pick it up. I'm thinking .20 cents/ pound is more like it. my email is [email protected] if you are interested or know of anyone who has one. Thanks. Tony.

tenglish1966

Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WANTED LEAD KELL

I'm looking for a lead keel and live in Arkansas and will drive to pick it up. My email is [email protected] if you are interested or know of anyone who has one. Thanks. Tony.

2crezy

Feb 19, 2013
Reddick, Florida
Detector(s) used
White, Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it back to scrap yard and run it through general scrap should bring $11.00 per hundred pound.

tenglis12

May 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead sells for .28 / Lb , do you syill have the keel? Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread