sterling silver

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
I was at a garage sale today and found a box of those small state spoons that they sell in conveinent stores all over the place. on the back they say sterling silver, so i bought them, like 20 of them for 2 dollars. i am just unsure whether or not they are actually silver, because a magnet will pick them up easily. what is the purity of sterling silver and is it worth picking up when i find it. thanks.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
DemonWolfe said:
I was at a garage sale today and found a box of those small state spoons that they sell in conveinent stores all over the place. on the back they say sterling silver, so i bought them, like 20 of them for 2 dollars. i am just unsure whether or not they are actually silver, because a magnet will pick them up easily. what is the purity of sterling silver and is it worth picking up when i find it. thanks.
At least you have something you can eat cereal with, or not, depending on how small they are. A fully functional spoon is worth a dime. Today pure silver is a little over $23/oz. One sterling teaspoon is easily worth $15., probably more. I'm looking at a US silver eagle, trying to imagine what it would look like as a spoon. In general, I would say that sterling teaspoons are bigger than silver eagles, but are only 92.5% pure silver.
It is always worth trying to pick up sterling with a magnet, BEFORE you pay for it, because silver that sticks to a magnet is not silver at all. Just because it doesn't stick to a magnet still doesn't mean it is silver, so if I were you I'd spend a little time with several verified silver objects before I spent any more cash on it.

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
sorry.. don't carry a magnet around in my pocket all the time. does anyone know anything about "german silver" found a old tea set thats made out of it, it looks like silver but why call it german silver if its not silver, only paid $3 for the whole set at a auction last week. looks neat, even if its not worth anythng

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DemonWolfe said:
sorry.. don't carry a magnet around in my pocket all the time. does anyone know anything about "german silver" found a old tea set thats made out of it, it looks like silver but why call it german silver if its not silver, only paid $3 for the whole set at a auction last week. looks neat, even if its not worth anythng

Sorry....at least it was only 3 bucks. :icon_thumright:

"German silver name for various alloys of copper, zinc, and nickel, sometimes also containing lead and tin. They were originally named for their silver-white color, but use of the term silver is now prohibited for alloys not containing that metal."....
http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/German_silver.aspx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread