Another microwave part identification question.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say without a picture.

OP
OP
hypoman

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Sorry about that, having trouble uploading for some reason. Let's see if it works now.

Attachments

• i dunno.JPG
    i dunno.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 1,270

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know, Hypoman. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is called an RF Gasket. It is made of brass. It's job is to insure none of the microwaves leak back into the magnetron.... Did you get to check out the copper core of the magnetron?

OP
OP
hypoman

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
theirratonalist said:
That is called an RF Gasket. It is made of brass. It's job is to insure none of the microwaves leak back into the magnetron.... Did you get to check out the copper core of the magnetron?

Thanks alot. I think I just threw it in my motor pile.......should I not do that? I was going really fast that day cleaning my scrap because I have a lot to clean.....3 more dryers, a washer, a stove, bike, lots more. I'll dig it out and check it out. That was actually the first microwave I have cleaned. By the way, your blog is great, keep up the good work....it's very appreciated.

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hypoman said:
theirratonalist said:

Thanks alot. I think I just threw it in my motor pile.......should I not do that? I was going really fast that day cleaning my scrap because I have a lot to clean.....3 more dryers, a washer, a stove, bike, lots more. I'll dig it out and check it out. That was actually the first microwave I have cleaned. By the way, your blog is great, keep up the good work....it's very appreciated.

Thanks! It's ok if you threw it in the motor pile... It's just a little tiny bit of brass; probably weights 10 grams or so. If you have a brass pile, then you can throw it in there.

OP
OP
hypoman

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
I meant the magnatron....I threw that gasket in with my brass.

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hypoman said:
I meant the magnatron....I threw that gasket in with my brass.
;D sorry, of course you did! I misread it.

If you have already pulled the magnetron apart, you should be able to sell the solid copper core for copper 2 if you want to clean it up. If you don't plan on breaking down that far, then there should be no problem selling it as a motor. I usually just throw it in with my motors because cleaning it up can be a little time consuming.

Natebuh

Mar 6, 2024
Does anyone know what this is? I found it of the bottom of a microwave I took apart last week. It is golden brown in color, made of some kind of metal, non-magnetic, and about the size of a dollar coin.....maybe a little bigger.
Magnetrons have a purplish ceramic part that contains beryllium oxide.
That stuff is highly toxic and there is no cure. Do not breathe or ingest any dust from that ceramic piece!! I realize I'm about 14 years too late by the dates on this post but this is for anyone else who's curious about how these things work.. Be safe!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnetrons have a purplish ceramic part that contains beryllium oxide.
That stuff is highly toxic and there is no cure. Do not breathe or ingest any dust from that ceramic piece!! I realize I'm about 14 years too late by the dates on this post but this is for anyone else who's curious about how these things work.. Be safe!
Thanks for explaining Natebuh and welcome to T Net! There's never a bad time to pass on info like this!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread