bracelet2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,391

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If red is right, and she usually is!!! It is not actually "filled" Just a heavier gold Plate!!! Chug sorry High class costume jewellery

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
If your jewelry has the all of the information needed to determine how much gold is on it, then it is not worthless. The first thing you would expect to see is a fraction. 1/20, or 1/10 are the most common. Next you should see a purity: 10K, 12k etc. Then you'll see the GF indication.

Here's an easy example calculation . . .

You have an object that weighs 20g marked 1/10 12K GF.

One tenth of 20g is 2g, so you have 2g of 12K gold. It just so happens that 12K = 50% gold. 50% of 2g = 1g. So you have 1 gram of pure gold. On the day I write this, gold is valued at almost $44 per gram.

If you have a reasonably large quantity of gold filled items, or if you can put some "karat gold" with it, ARA will give you 98% of the spot price. A "large quantity of GF" might be 500 grams. I've never sent GF only, but mixed up some solid gold with it. It ups their turn-around time from 3 days to 7, but it takes 7 days for silver anyway (but bag and mark silver separately, it is processed in a separate batch).

For more info, read CyberDan's posts. If anything I say is in conflict-go with him.

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red said:
If red is right, and she usually is!!! It is not actually "filled" Just a heavier gold Plate!!! Chug sorry High class costume jewellery

Thanks!

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
batcap said:
If your jewelry has the all of the information needed to determine how much gold is on it, then it is not worthless. The first thing you would expect to see is a fraction. 1/20, or 1/10 are the most common. Next you should see a purity: 10K, 12k etc. Then you'll see the GF indication.

Here's an easy example calculation . . .

You have an object that weighs 20g marked 1/10 12K GF.

One tenth of 20g is 2g, so you have 2g of 12K gold. It just so happens that 12K = 50% gold. 50% of 2g = 1g. So you have 1 gram of pure gold. On the day I write this, gold is valued at almost $44 per gram.

If you have a reasonably large quantity of gold filled items, or if you can put some "karat gold" with it, ARA will give you 98% of the spot price. A "large quantity of GF" might be 500 grams. I've never sent GF only, but mixed up some solid gold with it. It ups their turn-around time from 3 days to 7, but it takes 7 days for silver anyway (but bag and mark silver separately, it is processed in a separate batch).

For more info, read CyberDan's posts. If anything I say is in conflict-go with him.

Thanks

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
SilverGoldBuyers said:
Yea gold filled is not worth much we pay only $6.88/ troy oz of Gold filled.

You can use our gold value estimator to find out how much we'll pay on other items as well.

I'd pay double that quote. Did you not notice my calculation above? And that was for only 20 grams. If it was 20g 1/20 10k gf it would still be = to 1 gram of 10K gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread