Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Mar 2009
    North Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
    35 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

Gold filled

I have several items marked Gold Filled that I found while detecting over the past few years. The pawn shop told me it's not worth anything. Is this true? Is my gold filled jewelry worthless?
    What do I do with it if it's worthless? Thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracelet.jpg 
Views:	1260 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	48393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracelet2.jpg 
Views:	1192 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	48394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracelet.jpg 
Views:	1181 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	497292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracelet2.jpg 
Views:	1177 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	497293  
    SkyPirate

us
    Feb 2010
    Vancouver WA
    Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro) Chug and Reds New Additions Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
    1226 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Gold filled

If red is right, and she usually is!!! It is not actually "filled" Just a heavier gold Plate!!! Chug sorry High class costume jewellery
    "It cant Always Be Silver Or Gold But It Is A Hell Of an Experience Pulling It Out Of the Dirt"

Metal detecting is Like A Marathon, Your Running fast then start Slowing A Bit The You Find Something Interesting And You Pick Up the Pace!!! The Only Difference is If You Are Addicted to this Hobby there Is NO FINISH LINE HH Chug And Red

us
    Jun 2010
    Baltimore MD
    AT PRO
    50 times

If your jewelry has the all of the information needed to determine how much gold is on it, then it is not worthless. The first thing you would expect to see is a fraction. 1/20, or 1/10 are the most common. Next you should see a purity: 10K, 12k etc. Then you'll see the GF indication.

Here's an easy example calculation . . .

You have an object that weighs 20g marked 1/10 12K GF.

One tenth of 20g is 2g, so you have 2g of 12K gold. It just so happens that 12K = 50% gold. 50% of 2g = 1g. So you have 1 gram of pure gold. On the day I write this, gold is valued at almost $44 per gram.

If you have a reasonably large quantity of gold filled items, or if you can put some "karat gold" with it, ARA will give you 98% of the spot price. A "large quantity of GF" might be 500 grams. I've never sent GF only, but mixed up some solid gold with it. It ups their turn-around time from 3 days to 7, but it takes 7 days for silver anyway (but bag and mark silver separately, it is processed in a separate batch).

For more info, read CyberDan's posts. If anything I say is in conflict-go with him.

us
    Mar 2009
    North Carolina
    35 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Chug and Red
    If red is right, and she usually is!!! It is not actually "filled" Just a heavier gold Plate!!! Chug sorry High class costume jewellery
    Thanks!
    SkyPirate

us
    Mar 2009
    North Carolina
    35 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

Quote Originally Posted by batcap
    If your jewelry has the all of the information needed to determine how much gold is on it, then it is not worthless. The first thing you would expect to see is a fraction. 1/20, or 1/10 are the most common. Next you should see a purity: 10K, 12k etc. Then you'll see the GF indication.

Here's an easy example calculation . . .

You have an object that weighs 20g marked 1/10 12K GF.

One tenth of 20g is 2g, so you have 2g of 12K gold. It just so happens that 12K = 50% gold. 50% of 2g = 1g. So you have 1 gram of pure gold. On the day I write this, gold is valued at almost $44 per gram.

If you have a reasonably large quantity of gold filled items, or if you can put some "karat gold" with it, ARA will give you 98% of the spot price. A "large quantity of GF" might be 500 grams. I've never sent GF only, but mixed up some solid gold with it. It ups their turn-around time from 3 days to 7, but it takes 7 days for silver anyway (but bag and mark silver separately, it is processed in a separate batch).

For more info, read CyberDan's posts. If anything I say is in conflict-go with him.
    Thanks
    SkyPirate

Mar 2007
    south central ohio
    White's Spectrum XLT
    11 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

will hafta try that ... Ihave some gold filled junk... next time i send to ARA I am tryin it

us
    Sep 2010
    New England
    V3i
    13 times

Quote Originally Posted by minton7
    will hafta try that ... Ihave some gold filled junk... next time i send to ARA I am tryin it
    Please let us know how it works out.

us
    Sep 2007
    Sal Sagev Adaven
    E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,, GB PRO.
    24 times
    Metal Detecting

I'll just follow you with My E-trac, Sov GT,or GoldBug Pro.

us
    Feb 2011

Yea gold filled is not worth much we pay only $6.88/ troy oz of Gold filled.

You can use our gold value estimator to find out how much we'll pay on other items as well.

us
    Jun 2010
    Baltimore MD
    AT PRO
    50 times

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGoldBuyers
    Yea gold filled is not worth much we pay only $6.88/ troy oz of Gold filled.

You can use our gold value estimator to find out how much we'll pay on other items as well.
    I'd pay double that quote. Did you not notice my calculation above? And that was for only 20 grams. If it was 20g 1/20 10k gf it would still be = to 1 gram of 10K gold.

Sponsors