What is the steel price per pound?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm wondering if you can help me with some simple math...

What is the price per pound of steel?

Around here, the only scrap yard we have only buys non-ferrous. They will accept steel, if you want to donate it to them.

I was talking with a guy who drove to the big scrap yard 25 miles away. They are paying $280 a ton for scrap steel. He netted over $1000 on a little more than 3 tons.

I don't see much steel scrap these days, and virtually never see any that is enough to drive 25 miles to sell it...but I'm asking just in case I ever do.

Thanks in advance!!!!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Okay...thanks!

I've had so much on my plate and my mind was so cluttered that I just couldn't figure simple math last night or today.

I am curious...why does the scrap industry only talk in ton prices, and not in pounds, like copper, brass and aluminum?

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
clovis97 said:
Okay...thanks!

I've had so much on my plate and my mind was so cluttered that I just couldn't figure simple math last night or today.

I am curious...why does the scrap industry only talk in ton prices, and not in pounds, like copper, brass and aluminum?

Probably because it sound better than say $.10lb. Also, some will only take 1 ton+. They talk "ton prices" on the "copper, bass ands aluminum" when they are selling it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread