Any scrap value for an old sump pump?

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:
I replaced my sump pump today.

Does my old pump have any scrap value, or is it just an electric motor in an iron casing?

Our local yard doesn't buy steel or iron, and pays next to nothing for electric motors.

Thanks!!!!

It is worth electric motor scrap at my yard; or save it to pump water out of scrap pools. What kind of scrap yard doesn't buy steel and pays poor for motors? Sounds like a great place to start up your own yard. ;D

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
My local yard will only buy steel if you have at least 1/2 a ton, and if it is good quality. No cars unless they are cut into small pieces that one man can carry.

He started the place when steel was cheap...they have a drop off box for appliances if you just want a place to dump them for free. It is amazing how many people drop off steel and appliances...totally unreal.
The closest place that buys steel is 30 miles away.

The last time I checked on electric motors, copper was really cheap. They paid 1 cent a pound, and would tell you "we really don't want them."

I've found that most yards have strengths and weaknesses. These are obviously two of theirs, but they are REALLY strong on clean copper, rads, and any odd non-ferrous alloy.

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Yeah, some yards are really weird. There is on by me that only takes steel...........thats it, and they don't pay hardly anything for it.........it's more like "I'll give you $50 for the whole load" kinda deal. I don't know how they can legally do that, but whatever, I stay away. Then one other place will only buy AL cans......whatever.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
42 cents for electric motors???

I've never heard of such a high price...it is crazy that my local yard pays nearly nothing for electric motors.

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
What is the price you do get for motors? One yard in my town will pay $1.00 a motor! Yeah right guy, keep dreaming!

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I lived in the city you could just toss an old appliance in the alley and it would sit for less than a day. There were pickers that came through all the time and if you didn't watch it your aluminum bass boat might come up missing too!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ELECTRIC MOTORS$0.18Per lb

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I lived in the city you could just toss an old appliance in the alley and it would sit for less than a day. There were pickers that came through all the time and if you didn't watch it your aluminum bass boat might come up missing too!

I had the golden rule of don't be crapping in my back yard, shopping cart pushers were all banned. That cut down on the local BBQ lid thefts in the neighbourhood.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
When you bring in your electric motor or sump pump, that is not the end of it. They have to pay someone to dismantle it and separate the various metals from the worthless materials. Costs money.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you bring in your electric motor or sump pump, that is not the end of it. They have to pay someone to dismantle it and separate the various metals from the worthless materials. Costs money.

Electric motors are either sent to a shredder or 95% of the time into a container and sent over seas for recovery. If the sub-pump housing is cast iron then more than likely most if not all the materials will be recycled. If it's plastic then I'm not sure on the #of plastic the housing would be, and if it's a recyclable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread