Computer Power Cords

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of computer cords exactly? A photo would be helpful...

power%20cable.jpg

If your talking about standard power cords, like the one above, a good guesstimate for copper content would be about 2 pounds of cords (minus the plugs) for 1 pound of copper. It all depends on the quality of the wire.

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i haven't found many that were worth stripping. i usually just put them in the coated wire pile, and sell them to the scrap yard that way.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I only strip solid wire the multi wire like what is in extention cords and those power cords aren't worth the effort.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
I cut the ends off some newer ones last week, there wasn't much copper in there. threw them in with
a bunch of thin extension cords. not worth stripping to me
Randyd

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
depending on the price u will get for unstripped wire, sometimes its worth almost as much just to leave the coating on, gives u more wieght, just depends on what u think your time is worth when u strip it.

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I get around 35-40c a pound for UNCUT and UNSTRIPPED computer power cords. I just go to the recycling center, cut all the cords off, and cash em in! haha

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I do as I have a lot of them as I build and repair computer for the Troops here at the base for free , I am left with all that they do not use .
I take an put them in a drum and burn all the plastic off the wires , if you do not to that or strip them then you will not get a good price at all .
It has been a year sense the last time I have done that so I do not know what the price is now for the metal .

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
Daedalus said:
What I do as I have a lot of them as I build and repair computer for the Troops here at the base for free , I am left with all that they do not use .
I take an put them in a drum and burn all the plastic off the wires , if you do not to that or strip them then you will not get a good price at all .
It has been a year sense the last time I have done that so I do not know what the price is now for the metal .
If you burn stranded you lose a lot to ash. worth more to sell as number 2. and enough difference in price and enough material means drive it.

gath2

Oct 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Power Cables

Do I need to cut off the ends of the cables before turning them in?

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
Do I need to cut off the ends of the cables before turning them in?

You don't need to do anything. But from what I have seen they cut the ends off and put them in a different bucket.

ScrapperChad

Greenie
May 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I strip those down and you'd need quite a few "not sure how many" to make a pound. It's not really worth the effort. But I save those for when I'm stuck inside the house on a bad winter day with nothing else to do. I strip them down to have something to keep me busy.

Well this goes for all cords and not just computer cords. I just put them back to get me through winter boredom. lol

Then in summer I have enough clean copper to cash in.

I use a razor knife to strip them out. Although not the most efficient way it gets the job done. :)

Chad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread