scrap an old 16 ft aluminium boat...

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Hey all. So i have this old fishing boat that hasnt been used in years, My step dad and I want to sell it. I am guessing we could get over a thousand bucks for it. ( based on watching the classified ads in my area). Then an idea popped into my head. If we take the motor off, its a 25 horse merc. we could probably find a buyer just for that. The boat is very old, and pretty beat up, so beat up it actually leaks a little bit through some of the old rivets in the bottom. It is totally safe and fine to fish in, if you dont mind a little water in the bottom, I just cant really imagine selling a boat right after explaining that it is only a "slow leak". So has anyone ever scrapped an alumium boat.? It is all aluminium. Would there be a way to find out how much i would get paid from it before I commit? Would i have to chop it up somehow? any and all feedback is much appreciated.

Chris

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
If you can sell it for 1K do it as is. No way you will cover that for scrap valve of .65 a lb for alum or .10 lb for steel!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrub it down with some baking soda, drag it to the front yard & hang a for sale sign on it. Then put it up on Craigs list for a fair price. An hours time spent is better than giving it away for scrap value.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Die in ?!?!? Loose rivets, tap em tight with a body hammer & a dolly. Paint the seams with some epoxy paint & it's good to go for another 20 years. Buff it up with some baking soda, good as new. :thumbsup: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would buy some silver waterproof (if it exists) spray paint the whole boat two times and then sell it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RON (PA) said:
I would buy some silver waterproof (if it exists) spray paint the whole boat two times and then sell it.

PAint the seams & tighten up the rivets = less outlay.

You doooooo know it's human nature & murphys law that if you paint it one color, they'll want it another color? :D :D :D

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's how I make my extra money by buying old aluminum boats usually with a trailer. Put a little sweat equity into it and turn around and sell it on Craigslist usually with a $200 - 400 profit. I picked up a 16 foot X 6 foot wide beam Monark aluminum jon boat and trailer for $900. The boat alone retails for $3000 new. I'm waiting for my mechanic to bring a Evinrude 40 hp tiller with a 20 inch shaft up from Naples. This will be my treasure hunting / fishing boat.
I got a 14 foot Sea Nymph for sale in classifieds and on Craigslist/Orlando.
:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions