Railroad spikes and tie plates.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I was wondering what are the different grades of steel and what grade would railroad spikes and the flat railroad plates be? When I walk my dog down the tracks I see so many of the plates that the ties were spiked to. These plates must weigh at least 10 to 12lbs each. I walk by so many just laying there (hundreds) and was wondering if it would be worth bringing them home to scrap. The spikes are laying around all over also. These have been laying there since they took out two rails in the mid 1980's. What is the price per lb of this grade steel?
Thanks
Marty

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess what? The tie plates still belong to the railroad, the spikes too. I work in a steel foundry and we Ger alot of used plates and spikes from the railroad itself. If you were to load a couple hundred of each up and head to the scrap yard, I am sure you would have a visit. They would not be there for a social call. The scrap yard would most likely call the railroad. They would already have you name and address.

As much as I love to scrap and get paid for what other people throw away, railroad debris is not the way to go.

Just my two cents.

Bob

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Don't mess around railroads . Those folks have 0 sense of humor . Will prosecute the smallest thing to the max .
Jim

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
RJGMC said:
Guess what? The tie plates still belong to the railroad, the spikes too. I work in a steel foundry and we Ger alot of used plates and spikes from the railroad itself. If you were to load a couple hundred of each up and head to the scrap yard, I am sure you would have a visit. They would not be there for a social call. The scrap yard would most likely call the railroad. They would already have you name and address.

As much as I love to scrap and get paid for what other people throw away, railroad debris is not the way to go.

Just my two cents.

Bob
Thanks for the info Bob. Its too bad that alot of this is allready being lost to time. Alot of the plates were thrown up on the sides and are covered with 20+ years of leaves The others are still in plain sight on the rocks. I know of one area I kick a little of the leaves away every once in a while and there is a pile of old rails at least 15 rails that were cut into approx 5-6ft lengths, very heavy prob 400lbs each I would guess.

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
yeah its to bad that they leave all that laying around to decay and rot away, but prosecute someone who is recycleing it when they themselves obviously have so much money already that they dont care. a few here and there mixed in some other stuff i dont think they would worry about, but as many as your talking, they would notice very easy.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Texas most recycling yards have signs out stating it is illegal to try and scrap railroad equipment. No gray area here, all in black and white.

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
Funny, as I have been scrapping railroad materials for 20 years now. Yes, most yards will not buy railroad scrap. But keep in mind that not all railroad track is owned by the railroad. There are thousands of miles of spurs, sidings, and house tracks all over the country that are privately owned. I know, that's how we make a living. I'm not saying you can go pick the stuff up, just know that as long as you can prove where you obtain the material, they will buy it from you.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPRR used to prosecute for theft. Would make the value of parts the same as new on the report, trying to drive the charges up to felony value. They usually threw trespassing in with the rest of the charges also. By the time they got done, they had tresspassing, possession of stolen property with intent, transporting stolen property, etc. etc.

Never made sense to me, going after someone that hard for picking stuff that possibly could end up being a safety issue.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would work well for a throw away boat anchor....Or to tie to the end of a trot line, To weigh it down.....My 3 cents...

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
poorhunter78 said:
They would work well for a throw away boat anchor....Or to tie to the end of a trot line, To weigh it down.....My 3 cents...
We used to use sash weights from old windows. Worked great & didn't snag.
We sometimes use the long lines with multiple hooks. Tie off from shore or a snag, then stretch it out and sink other end...If a rail plate were to be used on the end...I imagine the weight of it would be tough to pull up.... ::)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've gotten quite a few spikes and plates from junk I buy at auctions, and have never had a problem scrapping them.

Then again, I've never had more than 3 plates or 5 spikes at a time, and it has always been mixed in with other stuff.

I'm sure if you showed up with a wheel barrow full or more at your scrap yard, you would have a visit or two from serious people carrying badges.

mlchrt4

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last summer, I dug up an old railroad spike while out detecting in my neighbor's yard. When I came in and researched it, I found a web site or page that had a chart of different spikes, with dimensions and descriptions, etc to help date them. Of course, I didn't book mark the page. I know the spike dates to the late 1800's or early 1900's, but I can't find the page again. Has anyone ever researched or seen this page and or chart? Thanks.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish the scrap yards that would not take mine rail or spikes.
I have had to replace rail in two mine because of scrap thieves

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread