Questions about brass.....?

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
Ok so I often buy liquidation lots and small dumpster-sized caches from demolition companies who are thrilled to still charge their customer full value, plus make money offf me, PLUS have less weight to transport :P

But thats not the point.

I recently came across a large number of what I believe to be brass fittings for firehoses from a municipal building they were tearing down. They all seem in good shape, some have paint on them, some rubber washers, some maybe spackle or something. Heres my questions: A) Is brass worth anything to scrap dealers, and if so, approximately how much per pound at today-ish's prices? B) Should I clean it up before I bring it in - strip out washers, scrape off spackle etc? C) If so, what would be the best way to clean them up? Soak them in diesel for a day or two? I mean, Im not polishing them like Im a sailor, or anything, but Ill do the minimal required to get full scrap value.

Thanks in advance! :coffee2:

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call your local yard and see what they require. Most consider dirty brass to be brass with other METAL in with it (steel rivets, aluminum, screws, etc). I have taken in brass with a small amount of spackle on it and they still considered it clean since it did not have any other non-brass metal on it. If I was in your place, even if there was no other metal, I would though remove all rubber and non-brass items I could easily remove.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tenseventyfive said:
Ok so I often buy liquidation lots and small dumpster-sized caches from demolition companies who are thrilled to still charge their customer full value, plus make money offf me, PLUS have less weight to transport :P

But thats not the point.

I recently came across a large number of what I believe to be brass fittings for firehoses from a municipal building they were tearing down. They all seem in good shape, some have paint on them, some rubber washers, some maybe spackle or something. Heres my questions: A) Is brass worth anything to scrap dealers, and if so, approximately how much per pound at today-ish's prices? B) Should I clean it up before I bring it in - strip out washers, scrape off spackle etc? C) If so, what would be the best way to clean them up? Soak them in diesel for a day or two? I mean, Im not polishing them like Im a sailor, or anything, but Ill do the minimal required to get full scrap value.

I'd collected some aluminum tool boxes and lots of Brass as I go to garage sales looking for other things. Last June, it was going for $1.90 for yellow brass, so I took in 140 lbs of it. What was funny was seeing the faces of the scrap yard unloading guys.... I'd bet they bought some of the shapes out of their paychecks.... Good profit when you buy heavy candlestick brass holders at 2-for-a-Quarter...

As of August 16, 2011: Around Ft. Worth, Tx, clean yellow brass is going for $1.98.
Red brass from valves and faucets, that have the steel handles, stainless screws, and rubber seals stripped away, is going for $2.07

First, call the scrap company and ask what today's price is....to know what top dollar is posted for the day. May as well ask what they consider as clean for the best price, too.
Get the paint and other non-brass contaminates off it and there'll be no reason not to get the highest price.

Attachments

• P1020217 (Small).JPG
    P1020217 (Small).JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,321

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
Wow Bill,

If you sold all those brass figures for scrap, you lost money. Around here (Iowa) we have a little junk auction in town every week. Brass figures always sell for way above scrap prices. I once seen a guy set up along the road selling hundreds of those things. He said he bought them from the local scrap yards and resold them. Looks like he was getting along very well too.

Love the horse ones, still have them?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silversaddle1 said:
Wow Bill,

If you sold all those brass figures for scrap, you lost money. Around here (Iowa) we have a little junk auction in town every week. Brass figures always sell for way above scrap prices. I once seen a guy set up along the road selling hundreds of those things. He said he bought them from the local scrap yards and resold them. Looks like he was getting along very well too.

Love the horse ones, still have them?

Most anything brass is either priced too high or priced to get rid of it... Around these parts, brass items are not a collectible or a status symbol and considered out of Vogue...
All the stuff in the picture is gone, and gave me a super high profit margin for a turn around of money toward the 3.5 KW solar panel project...

I do still have the motion sculpture by Bijon.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,418601.msg2982274.html#msg2982274

What would you have paid for the horses, including postage?

Bill

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
billjustbill said:
tenseventyfive said:

But thats not the point.

I'd collected some aluminum tool boxes and lots of Brass as I go to garage sales looking for other things. Last June, it was going for $1.90 for yellow brass, so I took in 140 lbs of it. What was funny was seeing the faces of the scrap yard unloading guys.... I'd bet they bought some of the shapes out of their paychecks.... Good profit when you buy heavy candlestick brass holders at 2-for-a-Quarter...

As of August 16, 2011: Around Ft. Worth, Tx, clean yellow brass is going for $1.98.
Red brass from valves and faucets, that have the steel handles, stainless screws, and rubber seals stripped away, is going for $2.07

First, call the scrap company and ask what today's price is....to know what top dollar is posted for the day. May as well ask what they consider as clean for the best price, too.
Get the paint and other non-brass contaminates off it and there'll be no reason not to get the highest price.

Love the pic Bill, LOL, looks just likes my piles(s) I bring to the scrap yard. Rarely worth reselling Brass items around here. I buy them and scrap them, that's it. No time or patience to try and sell any other way, except maybe some occasional bookends.
But that's just me, take the cash and move on.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
you can always pick up brass here a yard sales for nothing... esp big lamps that are either mostly cast aluminum or brass... buy em for a buck.. if its aluminum you make a lil.. brass then u make a lot... I bought a bunch of brass for 9 bucks at a yard sale a month ago.. took in scross town to recycle... got 50$ outta it

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a nice posts.I have a learn new thinks from this site.I share it with my all friends.I impressed by the quality of good information.Best of luck,Keep up good work.

Talked to a guy today that is a fireman. He collected RED brass water meters, larger water valves, and fire hose ends from an old commercial building tear-down. He said RED brass is bringing about $1.80 a pound these days near Ft. Worth, Tx. I know of two scrapyards where one will give you .20-.30 cents a pound more for RED brass and the other just pays the going rate for just yellow brass and lumps all of it together. Sometimes, it's worth it to drive a little farther if you will take the time and divide your brass into RED buckets and yellow buckets...

Had to laugh this morning. At a housing addition, the one garage sale had nothing of interest. As I drove away, laying next to large black garbage bag out by the curb were two 50' orange extension cords. I stopped and asked if they planned to throw them away. The lady shouted back, "They're burned up and no good. Take 'em." With new end plugs I've collected in "bucket-full buys", rather than scrap them for the copper wire, they ought to bring $5 to $8 each at my own garage sale.... "Treasure is where you find it"....

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread