Copper pennies for scrap???

MaDeuce

Jan 30, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm a newb and have a seemingly simple question, but nobody can answer it so far...

I've got a large amount of pre-1982 copper pennies and would like to sell them. However, I have no clue who will buy them. It appears that most people are either hoarding them or melting them. Neither is an option for me, so, the question is -- who to sell them to?

I have seen a few mentions of sales to scrap yards, but they were all before the ban on melting.

Please tell me what I'm missing.

Thanks very much,
MaDeuce

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I suggest that those with a lot of pennies that you sell them on EBAY for $5.00 a pound mixed dates.
So far melting pennies is NOT against the Law=onlt Congress can make LAWS and it has not even been brought up-it has been mentioned but that is all.
Peg Leg

mech

Jun 4, 2006
St Petersburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Peg Leg said:
I suggest that those with a lot of pennies that you sell them on EBAY for $5.00 a pound mixed dates.
So far melting pennies is NOT against the Law=onlt Congress can make LAWS and it has not even been brought up-it has been mentioned but that is all.
Peg Leg

I agree, EBAY is probably your best bet.

As far as wether something has been passed as LAW or not.... Law, regulation, code, ordinance, rule, ..blah
Ive heard many say income taxes are not a law..but try not paying them :)

According to this.. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/31/usc_sec_31_00005111----000-.html
US Code gave broad powers to the Secretary of the Mint..so much that no administrative hearing or Court can question his/her authority.

"(d)
(1) The Secretary may prohibit or limit the exportation, melting, or treatment of United States coins when the Secretary decides the prohibition or limitation is necessary to protect the coinage of the United States.
(2) A person knowingly violating an order or license issued or regulation prescribed under paragraph (1) of this subsection, shall be fined not more than $10,000, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
*I like the "knowingly" bit...claim ignorance!!!*
(3) Coins exported, melted, or treated in violation of an order or license issued or regulation prescribed, and metal resulting from the melting or treatment, shall be forfeited to the United States Government. The powers of the Secretary and the remedies available to enforce forfeitures are those provided in part II of subchapter C of chapter 75 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 [1] (26 U.S.C. 7321 et seq.). "

Personally I tend to agree with this statement.. (and amused by the spelling)

"It is *not* "costing the government money"; it is costing the *taxpayers'* money. It is the government the one that is using something to guarantee something of less value. It is the government's fault and it is the government the one that should pay for such a deep arrogance about thrashing away tax-payers' money.

Well, the government declares owing me a cent by means of an item called "a cent". OK, that's the government side of the deal; it had all the powers to choose a piece of paper or a Ferrari to stablish its debt against me. But then, someone else offers me 1.73 cents for such a token. Why shouldn't I accept it? Despite what the government says, the *thruth* is that I'm liberating the government of a "contract" with me. In what crazy world is the debtor able to punish the one that wanted to condom the debt?"

cheers,

G

garbage digger

coolcash2004 said:
WOW!!!

I guess its an automatic doubling of your money. Spend $10,000 in pennies and sell them for $20,000. An instant $10,000 proffit.

Hmmmm.... I wonder...

-CC

If you can find someone that wants to pay $20,000 for some pennies :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread