Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for over 25 years but have never tried saving scrap brass and copper that I dig until recently. Now I have two 5 Gallon buckets, one for my brass and one for my copper. I save every scrap of copper wire, plated brass spoons, brass buckles, pieces of copper pipe, etc. Sometimes it's hard to tell if something is brass or copper. I have been hitting these questionable items with a file. If they are yellowish, I call them brass. If they are reddish, I call them copper.

My question is this: Will the scrap yard give me any trouble when I go to turn this stuff in and what "grade" copper or brass will they likely call it?

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve;
Really can't help ya. I have (+-) 15 lbs of .357 pistol brass. A dealer in Calif. is offering $2.00/lb, but my local scrap yard is offering $1.30 Since if would cost $14.40 to mail it to Ca....I am going to have to go with the $1.30 local offer. It still seems like giving away good .357 brass.

Chaz

Aug 3, 2007
Carlisle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Yellowish is yellow brass. Reddish could be red brass or copper. These should be separated. If it is cast, it is likely red brass. This would be typical of elbows, valves, etc. There are copper elbows, but they will be smooth, not rough looking. Wire would be copper.

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
Took in 12 lbs awhile back brass was almost $2 a lb at that time and for the shells which were all .22 shells which has no primer in them I got $1 a lb

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kenley said:
Steve;
Really can't help ya. I have (+-) 15 lbs of .357 pistol brass. A dealer in Calif. is offering $2.00/lb, but my local scrap yard is offering $1.30 Since if would cost $14.40 to mail it to Ca....I am going to have to go with the $1.30 local offer. It still seems like giving away good .357 brass.

I bet you could do better selling on Craigslist or the like.

WAres

Apr 30, 2011
Puyallup, WA
They will call your copper #2 and your brass just plain yellow brass. For copper to get #1 solids it needs to be clean, no solder, tape, paint, steel, etc. For brass just stick with yellow. Just about all brass can be sold for yellow price as long as it is clean no steel, plastics or rubbers. Just because brass has a redish color on the outside doesn't make it red.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread