Dummies Guide to Easy Silver Bullion Refining at Home

Alienson

Nov 15, 2011
Austin, Texas, area
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope this is a good enough place for this and that it is allowed.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread810904/pg1

This article is from another site and is exactly as it says, very simple and neat way to refine scrap silver to 99.9%.
(In the US, anyway, it is illegal to melt coins for precious metal content. The article came from Australia.)

OP
OP
A

Alienson

Nov 15, 2011
Austin, Texas, area
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Markmopar is correct. Only nickels and pennies are specifically illegal to melt.
Technically, it seems that the others could fall under the "defacing" rules for all money, but that seems not to be the case at present.

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
be careful if you do this, the red fumes will send you to the hospital, build a fume hood and be safe.
Mike

goldsilverpro

May 31, 2007
The guy in the article has done things pretty well and he gave it a good shot. I don't care much for the potato thing, though. You can buy a jeweler's melting dish for about $4.

I see 3 things or statements that I would question:
---A propane torch without oxygen isn't hot enough to melt gold, at least in a open melt.
---He never gave the weight of the final silver bead. I would bet it weighs less than 3 grams.
---You will never get 99.9% purity using this method and will be lucky to get 99.0%. This method is an excellent one that is commonly used to upgrade silver so it can more easily be purified to at least 99.9% (the accepted definition of pure or Fine silver) in an electrolytic silver cell.

If you are really interested in the refining, etc., etc., of Precious Metals, the most definitive, informative, and complete site, by far, on the internet is:
http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Alienson said:
Markmopar is correct. Only nickels and pennies are specifically illegal to melt.
Technically, it seems that the others could fall under the "defacing" rules for all money, but that seems not to be the case at present.
I was watching a show on coins a few years ago on history channel or some other channel..anyways the point being they showed the magicians coin or something like it an the head of the us mint was on there an the guy asked if it was legal to do that to a us coin an the guys answer was Yes any coin that is in you pocket is your to do as you wish Us Mint doesn't own your money.. or something to that effect

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread