cast aluminum, copper, brass

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I took a load into the yard last weekend. Thought that I had 20lbs ot of brass turns out 7 pounds was "cast aluminum" They also said that some of my "copper" was cast alum too. It just had a "copper platting". They took out a file and scraped the pieces to prove that they were right :BangHead:. Really bumbed my out :'( All of this stuff looked like the real brass and copper but not so. How do you tell if something is cast alum or brass or if it's copper plate over alum :dontknow:

Thanks Ace Villa-v

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that the weight as compared to the size of the item would make it easy to determine... Short of that use the file method you described

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
Cast alum by me would be like a bbq grill top. The stuff that looks like brass but is not is Die cast zinc. Just got .60 a pound for cast alum and die cast is like .15 a pound

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
acevillav said:
I took a load into the yard last weekend. Thought that I had 20lbs ot of brass turns out 7 pounds was "cast aluminum" They also said that some of my "copper" was cast alum too. It just had a "copper platting". They took out a file and scraped the pieces to prove that they were right :BangHead:. Really bumbed my out :'( All of this stuff looked like the real brass and copper but not so. How do you tell if something is cast alum or brass or if it's copper plate over alum :dontknow:

Thanks Ace Villa-v

[size=14pt]I'd say you answered your question yourself.[/size]

cracker

Apr 1, 2009
coming to a town near you
Detector(s) used
several
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silversaddle1 said:
acevillav said:

Thanks Ace Villa-v

[size=14pt]I'd say you answered your question yourself.[/size]
Besides the weight of course.

OP
OP
acevillav

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Thansk for the replys and advice. I bought the pieces thinking they were brass and copper. I could not use a file before buying them at the sale.

Austin Powers

Jul 27, 2011
Don't go by weight as Hobo is right about being cast zinc and this is about the same weight as brass. Suspect yard was wrong about being Al.
Also go by the application; these days why waste solid brass or copper on an ornament.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Brass etc

Invest in a bench grinder.. I also have my own postal scale.. I know to the ounce what I am taking in... each different meta is seperated... any doubts and I bring it back home... havent had ne trouble on the bras copper and aluminum items since I started this method

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a Google Search and this thread came up .

My Question was -How do Can I tell White Brass From Cast Aluminum .

I have some Drawer Pulls Off an old Chest and they look brass ; did the grind test and it was a silver color underneath .
The pulls are also marked on the bottom "Keller Brass Co" then a code N 14 020.

They seem pretty Heavy for their size but would love to know for sure before I throw them in with with my Cast Aluminum ; I also noted it this thread = Is there a difference between Cast Aluminum & Die Cast Aluminum. ?

I figured cast was the same either way.

Thanks for any help .
Davers

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Zinc die cast is a popular item to plate with copper/nickel.... instead of using the actual metal (as brass). Filing, grinding is a sure way of telling in a hurry if it's a solid copper/brass. Cast alum. will (most of time) feel light in the hand as zinc feels a lot heavier. Tap handles for example are either plastic or a plated zinc die cast, in dealing with just non-ferrous metals over the years have had things made out of zinc then plated copper, these are rejected items from plating companies that have had the first coating (which would be copper) before the nickel coating is applied in electroplating. There is a acid test to determine which metal is what,but it escapes me in which acid we used.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah "Alloys" can be a pain.

I probably worry about it too much.

As my main Recycle-r Says to put all Zinc ,pewter and other ?able Items in with the Cast Aluminum .
but
With the 'Spot' price of AL @ this time around 84 cent a lb & the Zinc price near $1.02 a pound.
I would like to get the most for my Effort.

Davers

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like I would say upgrade of 18 cents and with the density factor no wonders the guy likes you to throw away $$$.

Simple fact: Zinc Alloy 3 Aluminium Alloy 380
Density 6.6 2.74 gms/cubic cm

It's like a yard just throwing everything into a pile, weighing it up, throwing you a mixed price, separation is the only policy as it works the best for the customer and it's a saving of time for the yard to have an educated customer base. It worked well for me owning a non-ferrous yard, smarter the customer the cleaner the load would be and the level of trust was established where everybody benefited. The I screw you because he screwed me mentality of yards is still a huge problem in the industry today.

themark1

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ace Villa-v you can contact Highett Metal They are dealers and suppliers of aluminium, copper and brass as well as dealing in scrap metals.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I would say upgrade of 18 cents and with the density factor no wonders the guy likes you to throw away $$$.

Simple fact: Zinc Alloy 3 Aluminium Alloy 380
Density 6.6 2.74 gms/cubic cm

It's like a yard just throwing everything into a pile, weighing it up, throwing you a mixed price, separation is the only policy as it works the best for the customer and it's a saving of time for the yard to have an educated customer base. It worked well for me owning a non-ferrous yard, smarter the customer the cleaner the load would be and the level of trust was established where everybody benefited. The I screw you because he screwed me mentality of yards is still a huge problem in the industry today.

Yeah they must really like me :unhappysmiley

I already vented about this on another thread so ill try to keep it short.

I listened to what you said about the weight of Cast Aluminum vs, Plated Zinc
and bought some heavy 5+ Pound Lamps at a thrift store @ 50% off [ 4 to be exact] but kept one.

I thought 1 might ? be Brass but really thought the others were plated Zinc ( Just by their heavy weight) anyhow I took them apart [ the box I had them in was 20 lbs with all the pieces in it].

Took in all into Marietta Recycling Co. Here in N. Atlanta , I also had some (Screen Frames) & a few pounds of small aluminum pieces that I have Dug over the last few months [est 3 lbs] along with a couple aluminum poles[shower rods] .

So I threw all the Scrappy Aluminum pieces on the scale then the guy proceeds to tell me to put it all on the scale as its all the same ( OS or Old Sheet) 40 cents a plound:icon_scratch: OK ;
I said , " I believe the lamp pieces a Zinc, Can you at -least scan them "then the guy says in broken English "No No All Same"

Talking to the Boss Man there is a pain ,[ He,s like talking to a rock ] , tried to make small talk with him in the past, asked about his Glock pistol he was Carrying Cause I like Glocks Too & he acted if I was bothering Him.

Anyway I broke Even and Got a Nice lamp for free.

P.s. I went next door to Blaze Recycling and the nice girl at the pay window says "I have only 2 icons on my screen for Aluminum types & that,s Cans and OS":dontknow::dontknow:

Oh well there is 3 other Smaller Recycling Places Near me that I can check out.

Oh yeah Marietta recycling Co's Scales ( at least one of them) does not weigh in Tenths of a pound either ( But most places are like this) tho it does seem they would "Round up" when your weight is way over the half lb mark.
Took in some Copper Pipe that I thought might go 2 lbs threw it on and the scale said 1 pound.
Knowing this might happen I brought with me a small bag of dug Copper joints ,Elbows etc, with me , the guy wanted me to just pour out the whole bag , but you know it only took 2 Half inch Copper elbows to make the scale jump to 2 pounds, they were about to get me for around 2 Dollars just on the Copper.:BangHead:

Davers:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions