Seperating 1982 copper pennies from the other copper?

Ziggurat

Mar 17, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume this would be the right forum to post this in. So I've decided to save pre-1982 copper pennies for their copper content. I know that some pennies from 1982 are copper and some are zinc, so I only keep the copper 1982s. So here's my question. Should I keep my copper 1982 pennies seperate from the pre-1982 pennies? If/When it becomes legal to melt them down, do you think whomever I sell them to would not accept any 1982 pennies because some were minted as zinc? Do you think they'd want them seperate to sort through? I know there are large-scale sorting machines out there that could verify that all the pennies are copper...but I don't know of any scrap yards that have one of those.

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If it were ME sorting pennies by hand, I wouldn't even bother with any of the 1982's and just collect everything 1981 and below. You're right in that the mint changed the composition in 1982, but given the roughly 50/50 split on the 82's being coper vs zinc, I would just go for the sure thing. It'll save you time, and that 'pesky' 3rd pile of cents you'll have to keep track of.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
Drop the 82's on a table you can tell the copper ring vs a zinc. Speaking of pennies what are you doing with your canadian ones now that they are going to stop making them? I know you will still keep the copper ones but what about the others?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread