Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    39 times

tv scrap question

I have 3 tv's to tear apart. I am wondering what items from the tv's should I keep that have value at scrap yard? I remember when I was a kid my dad pulled some type of silver out of tv's.. that is all I remember an I am not a scrapper..any help would be awesome..thanks for your time an help
    some people call me the creeper ,cuz they don't know my name or face - Alice Cooper

Jul 2007
    Hey Creeper.

There is a large coil of copperon the back of the tube, called the yoke, be careful here, as there is high voltage inside tvs. Also there is a wrapped length of copper around the outside edge of the tube (looks almost like a cord, but the tape should come off it to clean it up).

I used to cut all the wiring out, all the aluminum heat sinks, umm depending on your scrap yard you could bring in the circuit boards. The problem is the GLASS & case, are hard to get rid of, as the glass contains lead and other harmful chemicals. I scrapped about a 100 tv's 5 years ago, I no longer bother with them, just too much work, for too little pay off.

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by creeper71 View Post
    I have 3 tv's to tear apart. I am wondering what items from the tv's should I keep that have value at scrap yard? I remember when I was a kid my dad pulled some type of silver out of tv's.. that is all I remember an I am not a scrapper..any help would be awesome..thanks for your time an help

au
    Jul 2011
    I agree with TJ. You'd be struggling to get a kilogram of copper in total from the 3.
    Depending on the resolution of the scales used, I'd be surprised if it registers.
    Remembering also that the copper from the deflection coils around the yoke is a lower grade of copper as it is enamelled, compared to
    the loom (once black tape is off) around the outer edge of tube.
    CRT monitors are better as the loom of pure copper is much thicker than in a TV and the overall remains are easier to dispose of such as in your own bin.

Sponsors