Is it worth it?

Is it worth it to save copper scrap found MD'ing...will dealers still buy it?

• No, GC, might as well through it away

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, if you find the right deler

• Yes, you'll rake in the money :)

• Total voters

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have the room to store it until you sell it.
There have been a lot of burglaries at construction sites on the news lately. The crooks are stealing copper pipe and then selling it out of state. I don't know why they have to sell it out of state unless some states are paying more for it. ???

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
Most likely it can be traced. The company's that buy it keep records of whom they buy from and how much.Hence there reason for selling out of State. But,yes cooper is a good turn in item to sell if it is legit.
Mike

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be sure you "find" it MDing and not just take it because it's easy to take. Two guys just got arrested in Tulsa last week for stealing copper out of the City streetlights! Theft of copper is a seperate felony as opposed to just larceny in Oklahoma. I think the law goes back to WWII when copper was needed so bad by the troops.I don't know about you but it would take a hundred years for me to find enough copper MDing to make a profit from it. Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
my brother is a plumber and makes an extra $1000 a month hauling off his scrap copper and turning it in. its well worth it.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope its worth it...I've been saving all my copper, brass and lead to scrap out, haven;t brought it in to sell yet but am sure it will be worthwhile....metals are scrap priced VERY high right now...do know they grade it out so you probably won;t get #1 value prices for it, but #2 is still high and well worth saving....besides, you're digging it up and carting it away, might as well save it and get something for it if you can...:)

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Copper is definitely worth saving. I think if you bring a few pounds of mixed copper that has obviously been in the ground to a scrap dealer they won't even blink. They DO watch for large amounts of clean machining waste, though. And statues of Abraham Lincoln. The statue in Wilkinsburg, PA has been stolen several times, but no scrap dealer will touch it, so it always comes home.

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok. i'll save it

HH
-GC

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
about 15 yrs ago sold a 5 gallon bucket full of # 1 copper for $ 91.00...about 1996 sold alot of # 1 at $ .81 a pound at i think we got .47 a pound on the #2....i would imagine it has gone up a bit since....well worth bothering with.....gldhntr

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
today copper closed at $3.08/pd.....worth saving? I;d say so...:):)

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainedigger said:
today copper closed at $3.08/pd.....worth saving? I;d say so...:):)

great info!

HH
-GC

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
It sure is worth saving/selling. A couple of years ago I stocked up on several 250' rolls of #12/2 with ground electric cable, for jobs. I got a great deal on it. Normally was selling for close to $30.00 a roll and I got it for under $20.00 per roll. I was in the building supply store just yesterday and noticed there was no price stickers on the electric wire. I assumed the price was changing to often, so I asked what the price was today and was told it had just came down to about $96.00.
They have been stealing it all over this area and peddling it also. I also do plumbing and checked the price on copper pipe and fittings. WOW! out of site.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
in 1986 while working as an electrician in daytona we had a theft....we were wiring new apartment complex..we had done 4 buildings and were just starting the fifth..came in on a monday and the theives had over 2 days taken out all the wire it had taken us near a month to install in all four buildings....they also stole our scrap pile that was to be used for an after the job party...even went as far as cutting out the copper fittings from the plastic plumbing pipes.....as hard as they had to work to accomplish all this they may as well had a full time job....... i also heard on the radio about theives stopping in broad daylight over several days along the median wall in charlotte on i-85 and stripping several miles of wire from the streetlights down the middle of the highway.....brazen..........and again, worked so hard they might as well fill out applications.................gldhntr

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago, my parent's house burned down and I went in and cut, jerked and stripped all the copper wiring out of it. I took a whole pickup bed full of wire home, set it on fire and burned the plastic off. Two things happened.

1. I was paid a visit by the local authorities for burning in city limits without a permit ($50.00) fine and had to extinguish the left-over blaze.

2. When I finally get all the plastic stripped off, I haul it to the salvage yard and the worker tells me he can't take it because it's been burned? I finally get the owner, and he agreed to take the stuff off my hands "just this one time."

I think the plastic has to be stripped off and not burned off? That's my one and only experience dealing with copper. I don't know a whole lot about it - it was too much trouble for me...

Good Luck, Tim

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody!

HH
-GC

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I've been saving the wires from lamps,appliances,and even broken Christmas lights for the copper. I just started doing this last month but was wondering if anyone knew how to strip the plastic off of the copper wire. I'd like to be able to weigh the copper wire before taking it to the scrap yard.

How do you strip wire ???

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Pennyworth, if you and I invent a wire stripper I think we would get rich.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread