Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no responses? Really?

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
Around here #1 is anything that is bigger then say the lead in a pencil has to be clean and shiny. #2 is basically everything else except for burnt copper

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell it at three different places. I throw my No.14 and larger in the No. 1 pile and anything smaller goes into the No. 2 pile. Burning it off really doesn't make any difference to them except on copper tubing. If tubing is shiny one place will take it as No. 1

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
when it comes to wire, regardless of whether it is insulated or not, it often depends on the yard &/or the guy grading it

best answer will come from the yard(s) you use

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for responding... my yard says its the size that matter I always thought it was condition... thanks for clarifying

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell it at three different places. I throw my No.14 and larger in the No. 1 pile and anything smaller goes into the No. 2 pile. Burning it off really doesn't make any difference to them except on copper tubing. If tubing is shiny one place will take it as No. 1

In WA, most places won't take burnt wire of any kind.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just in my recyclers place yesterday and they have a big electronic board listing prices. They have a listing for burnt wire I think it was about 15¢-20¢ less than #1

jsehoule

Nov 24, 2006
I work as a non ferrous buyer. Start with wire. #1 bare bright is pencil lead size strands and looks new. #1 green is light bare bright. But green in color same with #1 burnt
# 1 cut tube is just that. No paint and solder with little tarnish.
#2 cut has paint-solder- and tarnish. It is also wire with strands that are smaller than a pencil lead.
Hopes this helps

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jsehoule said:
I work as a non ferrous buyer. Start with wire. #1 bare bright is pencil lead size strands and looks new. #1 green is light bare bright. But green in color same with #1 burnt
# 1 cut tube is just that. No paint and solder with little tarnish.
#2 cut has paint-solder- and tarnish. It is also wire with strands that are smaller than a pencil lead.
Hopes this helps

Jsejoule - you work for one of major scrap metal dealers? I used to deal a lot with the publicly traded ones - Schnitzer steel and simsmm.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting more for copper

Should silver plated copper, like dented, old, tableware platters that are stamped "Silver over Copper" bring more than #2? What can a person do "Cheaply" to treat #2 copper to make it bright and qualify as #1?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread