mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
don't mess with older moniters. I guess the voltage in them is like tvs. deadly. found this out after telling a friend I took mine apart. he had a fit & told me to promise never to do it again. & I hear there are heavy metals in the other electronics.

Austin Powers

Jul 27, 2011
don't mess with older moniters. I guess the voltage in them is like tvs. deadly. found this out after telling a friend I took mine apart. he had a fit & told me to promise never to do it again. & I hear there are heavy metals in the other electronics.
"dancing in the fire", like in pulling apart the monitor with the power connected.
Have no fear CoinFetcher, the monitor has a wad of thick copper wire covered in black tape on the screen surround of the CRT.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I take the power supply out and pull the aluminum and copper wire out of it, take out the hard drive take them apart most of the cases are aluminum and I take the disk themselves from inside in as aluminum not sure what they are really made of but my scrap yard hasn't said anything, take all the wires out of it, aluminum on the motherboard also then I close up the case and take the whole thing in as metal motherboard and all. Never took the gold ends off the chips before

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Someday when I move into a house I plan on having a trash can for each major metal: copper, aluminum, iron, and brass; smaller buckets for more valuable scrap like silver & gold. Right now in a 1BR apt space is kinda limited so can't really sort like that.

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
Frank1960,

You do understand that motherboard scrap can bring as much as 5 dollars a pound in some markets. 3 dollar a pound just about anywhere. And you sell it for what?

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Frank1960,

You do understand that motherboard scrap can bring as much as 5 dollars a pound in some markets. 3 dollar a pound just about anywhere. And you sell it for what?

Hmm nope I sure didn't but ya can bet I will hang onto them from now on. Now where would I sell them? And Thanks for the info!

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
Well first off, ask your local scrap yard. If they do not buy them try boardsort.com. In fact, go on over to their website.... aww nevermind. Here is the current price guide from them. It says what they pay and what they buy.

Scott

Large Socket Motherboard (no batteries) (Click to see description)$3.90 per pound
Small Socket GREEN Motherboard (no batteries) (Click to see description)$2.60 per pound
Small Socket CHINESE Motherboard (no batteries) (Click to see description)$1.95 per pound
Mixed Socket Motherboard Green and Chinese (no batteries) (Click to see description)$2.30 per pound
Gold Fingered Cards (Click to see description)$4.40 per pound
Trimmed Finger Cards (Click to see description)$3.40 per pound
Peripheral Board (no batteries) (Click to see description)$2.40 per pound
Dual Socket Server Board Large Socket(no batteries) (Click to see description)$4.40 per pound
Dual Socket Server Board Small Socket(no batteries) (Click to see description)$3.05 per pound
Telecom High Grade (no batteries) (Click to see description)$4.50 per pound
Back Plane Expansion Board (Click to see description)$3.45 per pound
Mid Grade Green Board (Click to see description)$0.45 per pound
Low Grade Brown Board (Click to see description)$0.15 per pound
Gold Tip Connector Ends (Click to see examples)$1.75 per pound
Gold/Silver/Tin Fingered Memory RAM$15.00 per pound
Fingerless (trimmed) Memory RAM$7.00 per pound
RAMBUS (metal cover) RAM$7.00 per pound
Slot Processors$10.00 per pound
Fingerless (trimmed) Slot Processors $5.00 per pound
Hard Drive Logic Boards (Click to see description)$11.00 per pound
IC Chips$6.00 per pound
Clean Gold Fingers$74.00 per pound
[h=4]Sorted CPU Chips[/h]
386/486$130.00 per pound
Double Side Gold Chips$100.00 per pound
Motorola/Foreign Gold Cap Chips$92.00 per pound
Pentium Pro Gold Cap Chips$90.00 per pound
Cyrix/IBM/VIA Gold Cap Chips$60.00 per pound
Pentium/Mac Ceramic Chips$39.00 per pound
AMD Ceramic Chips$30.00 per pound
AMD Aluminum Top K6$27.50 per pound
Black Fiber Chips$37.00 per pound
Green/Brown Fiber No Metal$21.50 per pound
P4/Mac/Green Fiber Metal Top$8.25 per pound
No Pin Processors$6.75 per pound
[h=4]Odds & Ends[/h]
CD/Disk/Floppy Drives$0.12 per pound
Power Supply Box with Wire$0.33 per pound
Power Supply Box without Wire$0.28 per pound
Li-Ion Batteries (Li-Ion only!)$1.10 per pound
Whole Hard Drive with Board$0.90 per pound
Whole Hard Drive without Board$0.40 per pound
Hard Drive Platters$0.35 per pound
Mixed Wire$0.60 per pound
Silver Plated Brass$2.00 per pound
Clean Aluminum Heat Sink$0.50 per pound
Clean Aluminum Copper Heat Sink$0.90 per pound
Clean Copper Heat Sink$2.25 per pound
Cell Phones with Battery$3.80 per pound
Cell Phones without Battery$6.00 per pound
Laptops (working and non-working)$0.75 per pound

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Wow thanks for posting the whole list. I went and bookmarked the page and will keep the insides of the pc's from now on. From the list I see they take other things also. Time for a new can for these things.

Sincetel

Oct 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is an older thread but if you ever come across laptop Hard Drives (2.5'') I am always buying. They must be complete with boards etc. They do not need to be working or even tested, just complete. I am looking for laptop drives only as of right now. I would prefer 160gb and up but will work with other if the price is right. This will be a consistent order, not just one time. So please reply back or pm me if you have anything available and prices. Thank You.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also then I close up the case and take the whole thing in as metal motherboard and all.
are you talking about a TV or computer? If computer the motherboard is big money (couple $$) compared to the other parts.

other big $$ computer parts are RAM, CPU and hard drive board.
some CPUs could get you $100 a pound, but it takes a lot to make a pound.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do some reclaiming of compute and cell phone gold . I don't sell the computers . I remove aprox 25 grams from each computer , as I get more experience I'm sure to be able to retrieve more . All the computers I get are donated from friend that we're going to through them a way . It covers down time from prospecting .

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
are you talking about a TV or computer? If computer the motherboard is big money (couple $$) compared to the other parts.

other big $$ computer parts are RAM, CPU and hard drive board.
some CPUs could get you $100 a pound, but it takes a lot to make a pound.

Dang I been throwing money away

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do some reclaiming of compute and cell phone gold . I don't sell the computers . I remove aprox 25 grams from each computer , as I get more experience I'm sure to be able to retrieve more . All the computers I get are donated from friend that we're going to through them a way . It covers down time from prospecting .

25 grams PER computer? NO way. That's $1000 each. Even 2.5 grams($100) per isn't happening.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
25 grams PER computer? NO way. That's $1000 each. Even 2.5 grams($100) per isn't happening.
i have a triple beam scale and yes it was 25 grams t one dell tower computer and one hp tower computer.

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a triple beam scale and yes it was 25 grams t one dell tower computer and one hp tower computer.

What exactly are you weighing? Just the gold or small gold bearing parts? I'm not doubting you, I just don't know anything about e-scrap.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What exactly are you weighing? Just the gold or small gold bearing parts? I'm not doubting you, I just don't know anything about e-scrap.
just the gold I extracted , broke all the parts with gold down as small as possible And soaked in nitric acid for a week , separated the fine gold flake's from acid and rest of parts left in glass with a filter ,
Burn filter after washing and drying , placed what was left in oven and melted together .

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just the gold I extracted , broke all the parts with gold down as small as possible And soaked in nitric acid for a week , separated the fine gold flake's from acid and rest of parts left in glass with a filter ,
Burn filter after washing and drying , placed what was left in oven and melted together .

You should totally make a video of these or something...You have my attention

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread