Analysis of metal

C

creekrat

Howdy,

I've a good friend who's recently gotten into hunting for gold around old gold mines. He
has found gold embedded in quartz and other material. Recently he began refining
his own crushed rock material and as a result has a metallic substance that he needs
an assay on. Is there a list of reputable firms that do analysis for ore and metals? How do
you know these these firms are accurate? He believes he may have something like platinum
because a portion of the crush has a melt point above 2900 degrees.

Thanks for any recommendations. CR

aussco999

Dec 25, 2003
Texas
Hey Creekrat:

I tried posting an answer before, but I guess it went to Limbo-Land, so I'll try again.

I didn't know what part of the world you are in, but you might give Reed Labs a try. Here is their web site; http://home.nethere.net/rely/

As for your question on how accurate a lab is???, thats a tough one. Normally if that is your concern, you send either a blank sample or a known salted sample to the lab for the same tests. But, to further eliminate any errors, you need to send the same set of samples out to a total of three different labs, and compare their results. The problem is you will be paying for all of this verification. I don't think that is your case, it sounds like your friend just needs some short and sweet answers for now.

I would recommend 2 assays test for starters, from Reed or any other lab. The first would be the 56 element X-Ray MS for $24. Sometimes it's just as important to know what you really have and/or don't have. For example, you mentioned a high melting point of 2900 F for the sample. Could be tungsten and not PGMs. The X-Ray MS could tell you that without the need for an expensive PGM test.

The second assay would be a gold/silver fire assay for $26. That is a quantitative, not qualitative test. Many times, I've had the assayer report that the gold bead had an unusual surface texture, which may indicate PGMs. You can always request the return of the bead so you can eye-ball it under the microscope and make your own decision about paying for any more testing.

There are several other labs around for assay work, and I'm not recommending any one special, but I've used Reed in the past with acceptable results, so it's a starting point. Let me know how it turns out if you can.

Good luck,

John

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI First the Pt metals are a bitc- to assay. There are probably only a handful of qualified Pt metal assayers.in the US.

As for checking on an assayer, give him two packages of the same quarter of an assay.pile. The pile consists of a fair amount of the materiel which is mixed, mixed, then mixed again until it is uniform. This divided into quarters, using only ONE for your two samples. Since it is impossible to get the two samples exactly the same there will be a discrepancy, but don't blame the assayer as long as they are close..

Tropical Tramp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread